Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#21684 by davethesuave
Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:04 am
Hello all. I just bought the box after reading the mostly rave reviews, and I am already getting excited. I have tried for Years to beat the verizon bill down; it's like trying to hold a helium-filled blimp under water, just kept pushing up.

I have a home office, like millions of Americans. I have a fax machine {the construction business is slow to embrace change}. So i have needed to pay for 2 lines; one for the office, one for the fax {i know, you can get them both on one line but that can be a pain also}.

My question: can i just use the splitter that came with the box, assuming I continue with the premier service, which allows 2 lines?
#21695 by daet
Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:27 am
davethesuave wrote:Hello all. I just bought the box after reading the mostly rave reviews, and I am already getting excited. I have tried for Years to beat the verizon bill down; it's like trying to hold a helium-filled blimp under water, just kept pushing up.

I have a home office, like millions of Americans. I have a fax machine {the construction business is slow to embrace change}. So i have needed to pay for 2 lines; one for the office, one for the fax {i know, you can get them both on one line but that can be a pain also}.

My question: can i just use the splitter that came with the box, assuming I continue with the premier service, which allows 2 lines?

I think you can. Just connect the fax to the hub, and the telephone to the scout. Then assign your fax number to the hub, and telephone number to the scout.

DG
#21701 by davethesuave
Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 am
thanks, i'll give it a try. if everything works out, i am so looking forward to giving the local phone co the boot, with the exception of DSL, which i can only get thru them.
#21801 by mcbleu
Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm
I will keep the fax line with the teleco
in my own experience to much trouble with the fax

Good Luck

Switch you phone line to ooma right a way
the more you way the less you save
#22084 by ggilman
Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:10 pm
A couple of notes when hooking up a fax

1) Fax must be connected to hub. Will not work over a scout.
2) You mention 2 lines and using the splitter that comes in the box. If you are using a splitter, you are splitting one line, which you say you are attempting to avoid the confusion of. Set it up as daet states, hub to fax, scout to phone. That's how mine is set up.
3) This is probably the most important and you don't see it spelled out very often. How many pages do you fax at a time? If it's 3-4, you'll probably be fine and you can ignore this. However, if you routinely fax more than 3-4 pages, you likely won't be too happy.

The longer the fax, the less likely it is to work. Due to the difference in nature of traditional faxes and VoIP, fax reception simply cannot be guaranteed. It's a roll of the dice every time. Though not guaranteed, short faxes have good odds of completion. The longer the fax though, the less likely it is to work properly. It's rather frustrating attempting to send a 15-20 page fax over and over again, hoping it will work. It's rare I have short faxes not work, but even more rare that I have long faxes that do. If your business relies on large faxes, you may want to consider alternatives like keeping a no-frills cheap land line or an e-fax service.

In the Faxing FAQs, the 3-4 page number is mentioned but most times I've seen faxes mentioned elsewhere in the forums, people talk about faxing successfully & fax setup, never mentioning the length. I assume for most people, 3-4 pages is normal & entirely sufficient. My wife is in Real Estate & has to routinely send 100+ page contracts. I've given up trying to get this to work on the ooma.
#22246 by davethesuave
Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:53 am
thanks to everyone for the comments. ggilman: it seems that the fax fix could be to buy into one of those fax services, where you receive your faxes in your email account {i have gmail}. i know a tax atty who uses this and raved about it. so i could look into this again, i think the going rates are in the range of say $9/month.
More or less.
That being the case, I've gone from $160/month to verizon, to $20 for the verizon DSL, another $9 for the fax service, and the ooma still pays for itself in 2 months, or worst case by the end of 2009.
So despite fumbling my way through the setup & configuration process, color me damn happy....
I'll post again after I look into faxing, and let you know how I make out....thanks again.
#22248 by kdmc69
Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:23 am
[quote="davethesuave"]thanks to everyone for the comments. ggilman: it seems that the fax fix could be to buy into one of those fax services, where you receive your faxes in your email account {i have gmail}. i know a tax atty who uses this and raved about it. so i could look into this again, i think the going rates are in the range of say $9/month.
More or less.
quote]

I have used MyFax. It cost $10 a month and was great. They give you a toll free number to use and you can do sending and receiving of faxes with them. Since I use Outlook, I was pleased with their app to send right from Outlook.
#22254 by ggilman
Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:37 am
davethesuave wrote:so i could look into this again, i think the going rates are in the range of say $9/month.

Yes, that's what I was suggesting if you do more than a couple of pages at a time. I'm using such a service and it works fine. Mine is right in the same price range, $9.99 if I recall. As you state, it's minimal compared to the cost of a regular phone line & the overall savings you are getting with the ooma.

The 3-4 page limit is just very easy to overlook until you try to send a larger fax, at which point you'll likely get very frustrated. In the forums, you will just see a lot of posts stating "Fax works great", without details. I have to assume they are all sending short faxes in which case, it probably does work great. If you had a better ISP connection & such than I do, you might squeeze a few more pages out but every extra page will give you a higher failure rate.
#22511 by davethesuave
Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 pm
ok, i did the research, have signed up with RingCentral, a internet fax service, for a 7-day trial, did a little testing, it worked fine. You can sign up for $10/mo {or better, $99/year = $ 8.33/mo}. All faxes in & out go to & thru your email service {i use gmail; after years of using gmail, I am at 12% capacity, i.e., I will never be able to fill it}.....doesn't seem to be any archive fees; other services would delete any faxes older than 21 days! On the other hand, gmail will save everything anyway, but i can't imagine having to go back through months of faxes in the archived emails trying to find something. Anyway the deleting of older faxes doesn't seem to be an issue with Ring Central....
The upside is, if you are starting out with a home-based business, you don't have to buy a fax machine, And paper, And toner.
The downside Might be, if you just want to fire off a quick hand-written note, you would need to scan it first, after writing it, then send it to your email server, then send it out.
{Don't hold me to any of this yet, i could be slightly off on the facts.}
But why dash off a note {not the most professional approach}, when you can very quickly bring up the cover letter blank on screen, and fill it in {forgot to mention there are about 10 different cover letter formats, usable after you download something called Ring Central Call Collector {it's free}, download time about 3 minutes, helps to keep everything organized; if you're gonna use this particular server, you'll be better off using the Call Collector, so just do it}.

So $20./month for verizon dsl, $8.33/mo for on-line faxes,

and I paid $233 {tax inc} for the ooma at best buy, so add $20/mo depreciation, for the next 12 months {the longer i use it after that of course, the number/mo drops lower still}.
= call it $48/month........
versus my average verizon bills in the past 11 months for dsl & 2 lines
= $166/mo.........

Net saved = $ 118/mo x 12 months = $ 1400+ saved in the next year, barring any problems.

$ 1,400. that'll buy a lot 'o grapes; and i don't mean the kind in the produce section ;~}-

i'm liking this ooma thing already...

PS: I asked someone I spoke to earlier today about clarity; "perfectly clear"; ditto on my end; on thing I have to get used to, which is ok, is in my earpiece, I hear zero background noise; sounds like i am speaking in a sound-proof chamber....this is, I suspect, a good sign.
#22512 by niknak
Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm
sounds like you have it all going on - congratulations!