Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#21414 by neekap
Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:26 pm
Hi guys,

I'm new on the ooma bandwagon and so far I'm LOVING IT.

Right now I just have one phone setup with wires going everywhere until I can figure out how to get the whole house wired. Based on a few posts I've read, I -think- this setup will work, but I wanted to verify it with the experts out here.

I basically want to throw my hub in the unfinished part of my basement where my cable modem and router already are. I'd like every jack in the house to have dialtone (note: I have no landline), but have the freedom to put my Scout in my home office so I can conveniently check voicemail.

It looks like I need to feed the "Phone" output of the hub to the primary pair in the house wiring, and feed the "Wall" output of the hub to the secondary pair.

In the room with the scout, would I need to set it up like the picture where I basically take the dialtone pair into the Wall port of the scout and the data pair into the Phone port, or would I just need to run the data to the Wall port, then plug the phone into the Phone port?

The picture below is what I -think- is correct, but I'm not 100% sure. Obviously I know that whatever plugs into the hub or scout needs to be the primary pair, so I'll have to do some fancy wiring to do that.

Thanks!
#21417 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:35 pm
neekap wrote:In the room with the scout, would I need to set it up like the picture where I basically take the dialtone pair into the Wall port of the scout and the data pair into the Phone port, or would I just need to run the data to the Wall port, then plug the phone into the Phone port?
The pair connected to the hub's wall port would be connected to the scout's wall port (wall port to wall port). The phone for the scout would be connected to the scout's phone port.
#21418 by tommies
Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 pm
neekap wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new on the ooma bandwagon and so far I'm LOVING IT.

Right now I just have one phone setup with wires going everywhere until I can figure out how to get the whole house wired. Based on a few posts I've read, I -think- this setup will work, but I wanted to verify it with the experts out here.

I basically want to throw my hub in the unfinished part of my basement where my cable modem and router already are. I'd like every jack in the house to have dialtone (note: I have no landline), but have the freedom to put my Scout in my home office so I can conveniently check voicemail.

It looks like I need to feed the "Phone" output of the hub to the primary pair[line1] in the house wiring, and feed the "Wall" output of the hub to the secondary pair[line2].

In the room with the scout, would I need to set it up like the picture where I basically take the dialtone pair into the Wall port of the scout and the data pair into the Phone port, or would I just need to run the data to the Wall port, then plug the phone into the Phone port?

The picture below is what I -think- is correct, but I'm not 100% sure. Obviously I know that whatever plugs into the hub or scout needs to be the primary pair, so I'll have to do some fancy wiring to do that.

Thanks!

You need to connect the WALL port of the scout to the line2, and if you want to, connect a phone to the scout PHONE port.

Do not connect the PHONE port of the scout in to line1--which is already have a dial tone from the hub.
#21421 by neekap
Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:48 pm
Thanks guys. After I posted that I was staring at that picture then realized that if I followed the picture to a T, both devices would be feeding dialtone across the same line which would be bad! :)