Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#21314 by mrflea
Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:02 am
I wanted to know how to hook up a 2 line cordless phone so that one line would ring with my landline number for incoming calls and outgoing local calls and one line would be connected to my Scout and ring with my ooma number. I am porting an out of town number and do not want to have calls forwarded from my landline to ooma due to the long distance charges. I want to be able to answer both landline calls and ooma calls on the 2 line cordless. Thanks for your help.
#21442 by mrflea
Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:57 pm
I tried the setup as discribed and got some bad results. These seems to be some feedback between the two lines. When I call out on either line, the other line also is active. When I make a call, both the landline and the ooma line connect at the same time.
#21444 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 pm
mrflea wrote:I tried the setup as discribed and got some bad results. These seems to be some feedback between the two lines. When I call out on either line, the other line also is active. When I make a call, both the landline and the ooma line connect at the same time.
OK, a little more info is needed. Are the hub and scout in the same room or are they connected via house wiring?
#21562 by mrflea
Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:53 pm
I first tried it on the hub and got the results noted in my prior reply. I next tried it on the Scout in another room using the house wires. I used the splitter that came with the unit and wired it as follows. I have a two line phone and pluged line 1 into one side of the splitter. The other side of the splitter is wired to the "wall" socket on the Scout. The "phone" socket on the Scout is wired to line 2 on the phone. The ooma side of the connection seems to be working properly, but the landline side will not hangup after receiving a call.
#21567 by Groundhound
Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 pm
mrflea wrote:I first tried it on the hub and got the results noted in my prior reply. I next tried it on the Scout in another room using the house wires. I used the splitter that came with the unit and wired it as follows. I have a two line phone and pluged line 1 into one side of the splitter. The other side of the splitter is wired to the "wall" socket on the Scout. The "phone" socket on the Scout is wired to line 2 on the phone. The ooma side of the connection seems to be working properly, but the landline side will not hangup after receiving a call.

In your case, with your landline not provisioned with Ooma, the wall ports of the hub and scout should only be plugged into each other, either directly if in the same room or via an isolated wire pair in your home's wiring. From your description it sounds like your phone's line1 and the scout's wall port are wired together via the splitter which is not correct.
#21706 by mrflea
Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:43 am
Ok, that worked. Thanks. It turns out that I did not need to use the Scout at all. I just used the "phone" port on the hub for line 1 and used my landline as line 2. The "wall" port on the hub is not used. I now have a Scout that I can't use and can sell. The 2-line phone I am using is the base for all my house phones. Now I can receive calls from my landline number and make calls on my ooma. That's great.