Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#21009 by eyekutr
Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 pm
Hello All
Please dont flame me for searching. I have a particular setup and need specific advice. I have been a VOIP user for a few years. Had sunrocket - they went belly up....went to phonepower, they are wonderful, but I am paying about 24 a month so ooma is a no brainer. Anyhow, here is my setup.
I have charter cable coming into my "media room". It runs into an ambit cable modem and ethernet cable comes out and goes into a lynksis wired router / phone adapter (for sunrocket) and then 2 ethernet outputs go to 2 separate wireless routers.........I have already forwarded my sunrocket calls to ooma....I installed the ooma directly in front of the sunrocket router....and as soon as I figure out how to hook up one wireless router into a second one (has security enabled so simple plug in does not work) I will ditch the sunrocket adapter and I will be good to go. Here are my questions...
I am a traditional guy and dont care to use the ooma hub for anything. In fact from my media room, my outputs will be going to the following
Home alarm - this already works with ooma, I have checked...no problem
Then another connection goes to the house wiring and I have a bunch of phones connected thbroughout the house in the wiring...what is the difference between the phone output and the wall output in this case ? I assume I should have the alarm get the signal from ooma using the special port that shuts off the signal from the house, then split the output to the house wiring ?? Thanks in advance
#21011 by southsound
Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
eyekutr wrote:Hello All
Please dont flame me for searching. I have a particular setup and need specific advice. I have been a VOIP user for a few years. Had sunrocket - they went belly up....went to phonepower, they are wonderful, but I am paying about 24 a month so ooma is a no brainer. Anyhow, here is my setup.
I have charter cable coming into my "media room". It runs into an ambit cable modem and ethernet cable comes out and goes into a lynksis wired router / phone adapter (for sunrocket) and then 2 ethernet outputs go to 2 separate wireless routers.........I have already forwarded my sunrocket calls to ooma....I installed the ooma directly in front of the sunrocket router....and as soon as I figure out how to hook up one wireless router into a second one (has security enabled so simple plug in does not work) I will ditch the sunrocket adapter and I will be good to go. Here are my questions...
I am a traditional guy and dont care to use the ooma hub for anything. In fact from my media room, my outputs will be going to the following
Home alarm - this already works with ooma, I have checked...no problem
Then another connection goes to the house wiring and I have a bunch of phones connected thbroughout the house in the wiring... (1) what is the difference between the phone output and the wall output in this case ? (2) I assume I should have the alarm get the signal from ooma using the special port that shuts off the signal from the house, then split the output to the house wiring ?? Thanks in advance

Your ooma system should work well with feeding your dialtone from the "phone" connection on the back of the hub. In answer to (1) The phone jack provides dialtone just like a landline would. Use it to power all your phones and alarm. The "wall" jack has a dual purpose. If you were integrating a landline, it would feed that landline into the hub. Also, if you decide to use a scout, that is what provides connectivity via HPNA. In your current configuration, just leave it unused.
(2) Yes, the hub needs to feed the alarm system in such as way as to allow the alarm to disconnect the rest of the house. The typical alarm connection is made via an RJ31X jack. It has Ring, Tip, R-1, and T-1 connections. Ring and Tip go to the ooma phone jack. The R-1 and T-1 lines carry your dialtone unless the alarm is in alert - then the connection is broken.

<<edited to correct error in R-1, T-1>>
And lest we forget, welcome to ooma! :cool:
Last edited by southsound on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#21014 by southsound
Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm
eyekutr,

It's been a busy day and I goofed up on the outputs of that RJ31X. I've corrected it above to be R-1 and T-1. (I have no idea where the R-2's came from. Maybe that cute little starwars robot.) :razz:
#21033 by eyekutr
Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 pm
You know
the guy who came and wired my alarm really did not know VOIP which is a bummer....I think he messed up the rj31x connection....
http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html#LE

I looked up some info there.....it seems to me, correct me if I am wrong, you will need to get thr red / green from the ooma PHONE port and wire it to the alarm, then the yellow black will retap into the house wiring, in my case it happens to be a q-logic box with a bunch of parallel connections....that would tap into the red green of any of the wires (there are 8 wires for structured wiring in the house)....is that correct ?
#21035 by southsound
Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm
Exactly. That will work great! If it is a long run and you can get to it easily you might want to use newer cable than the quad that has just 4 wires in it. The newer cables, Cat 3, Cat 5 and Cat 6 are all unshielded twisted pairs and are much better at keeping noise off your system than the old non-twisted stuff.