Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#20762 by dball
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 am
I just got my Ooma system up and running yesterday and initially I was planning to do a number port to keep my existing AT&T number but now I find out about this dry-loop DSL thing. Not sure if its worth it. I'd like to keep my old number but if its going to be a big problem...should I just get a new Ooma number?

David
Sacramento, CA
#20765 by hpepper
Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:31 am
Welcome to no-more-phone-bills dball.

It's a tough call - it really is up to you. Dry-Loop DSL could cause problems when your number is taken away from AT&T via porting. If you can deal with a new number, I say go that route. That is what I did. I had my old number a long time. It was kind of nice... I gave everyone I cared about my new number and they complained a little and everyone is used to it now. Plus I now don't get any political and other unsolicited calls.

The biggest pain with the new number is changing your credit cards, cable service, banks, etc. But I didn't think all of that was such a big deal.
#20773 by Quicksprj
Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:08 pm
I went for the dry loop dsl with qwest and kept my old number. Went without a hitch. Everything works great and ooma ported number perfectly. I would say try the port if for some reAson it didn't work right have AT&T port it back. They would probably do it for free if it came to that to get you back ad a customer. I personally think it would be worth the $40 gamble because odds in your favor that everything will work great. Main thing to remember is when porting from AT&T not to cancel service but to only port the number.
#20804 by Quicksprj
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:04 pm
I think a lot of regular phone companies are used to dealing with porting numbers. Qwest has a whole section that that's all they do. I have read other posts on this forum about people porting from AT&T without much hassle. You do need to make sure AT&T isn't going to jack up your dsl fee since it will be a dry loop. Qwest tried to charge me 35 a month which was 5 more than I was paying because o no longer had a bundle but I saw on their website a dsl only no phone line special of 30 a month for new customers. I called and asked if I could have that same deal and they gave it to me for a year. I'll see what is available after the year or ask them to continue the same rate. I think at&t will be glad you are at least staying with them for dsl even if it is your only practical choice they don't know that. I hope it works as smoothly as mine did.
#20814 by niknak
Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:04 pm
dball wrote:I've already paid for the number porting via premier but I'm worried about dealing with the phone company.

you should not have to deal with the phone company...ooma porting department does
#20818 by tommies
Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 pm
I also had ATT(formerly Bellsouth) DSL+phone line, dry loop and port my number without any problem.

I recommend that you call CS and let they know that you want to port your number out and keep the DSL(dry loop). Do not just say you want to dry loop DSL, this will create confusion(of cancel the phone service and keep the dsl): make it clear you want porting phone number(ie still want to keep the number) and keep the DSL service--hence dry loop.

I was lucky, the first rep. I talked to was knowledgeable(probably had done it before). Then I was transfered to a technician rep. to get it done. I was told by the second rep. that a new dummy account will hold my number till it is porting out, and the DSL dry loop will be completed in 11 days. On the due date, my phone went dead but DSL continue without interruption. There is no technician to come out to my house, no service charge for the dry loop. Some has reported that the dry loop DSL will cost five dollars more, but it not happen to me maybe because I still have ATT wireless combined. Total time was about 20-25 min including waiting on hold.

Also few has posted unhappy calls with ATT's CS regarding dry loop.

If the rep. does not appear to know what you are asking, just say goodbye and call again untill you talk to one that know what you want. YMMV

Make sure that you have the assurance that you number will be save(not lost) untill the port is completed.

When the port completed, the dummy account for your porting number will be cancel(by the porting process), don't forget to call again to settle the final billing and future bill of the dry loop DSL. I did call to settle the final bill but forgot the later, and they did mess up my dsl bill statement--they just do not send me the bill--I was using e-bill with the old account, and the e-bill do not cover the new dsl account.
#20894 by OomaZooma
Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:51 pm
I had to call AT&T/Bellsouth twice to get my DSL dry looped. The first CS had no idea what I was talking about and said it could not be done. I called the second CS later in the day and she knew exactly what I wanted done. Tell them you are porting over your landline number to another carrier and you would like your DSL dry looped to another number. Have them create a temporary account to hold your landline number until the porting is completed. When the landline number gets ported over your temporary account will cancel automatically and the DSL will remain active on it's own phone number. Your landline number will now be associated with Ooma.

Important Note: Since your DSL dry loop account was issued a new phone number, you will have to register your DSL dry loop account as a new account with AT&T/Bellsouth. If you don't register the new account you will lose DSL service on the new dry loop DSL account. During the registering process, you will have the option to import your previous DSL account information (including e-mail addresses) over to your new account. I was not informed of the registering process until my dry loop DSL account dropped and I talked to Tech Support. Sigh!

Good luck!

Gary
#20908 by tommies
Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 pm
OomaZooma wrote:
Important Note: Since your DSL dry loop account was issued a new phone number, you will have to register your DSL dry loop account as a new account with AT&T/Bellsouth. If you don't register the new account you will lose DSL service on the new dry loop DSL account. During the registering process, you will have the option to import your previous DSL account information (including e-mail addresses) over to your new account. I was not informed of the registering process until my dry loop DSL account dropped and I talked to Tech Support. Sigh!

Good luck!

Gary

I'm a little bit lucky in this, and I do not experience the dropped service. I only register again to activate e-billing--about 5-6 weeks after the dry loop completed.( I'm also with ATT/Bellsouth). My guess is as people says YMMV.