Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84 by nanonuke
Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 am
I made the ooma as the first device in the stack and when I do this, The internet speed comes to a crawl.

[DSL Modem]---->[OOMA]--->[Router]---[Firewall]--->Wireless

[OOMA]--->Phone Out connected to wall using a line splitter
|
|------< [DSL MODEM]----->With / Wo DSL Filter [ Phone Jack]

Instead if I move the ooma device behind the router the speed seems to be fine.

I tried using the DSL filters and with no filters, the result is still the same.

I don't get a very good voice quality when I make international calls and wanted to improve the voice quality and this is the reason I moved to the top of the stack.
#85 by nanonuke
Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 am
Additional test data. Here's something interesting

I did a speedtest with my router and I got 2500/378,Then I switched the connection to ooma's home connection to route thru the internet thru ooma and the speed dropped to 1399/137. Does this mean I have just a bad device or is this normal with ooma.
#88 by Bobby B
Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 am
Hi nanonuke,

I ran a test from my ooma Hub behind my router and in front of my router and I didn't notice any significant speed difference between the two. For testing, do you think it would be possible to run speed tests on the two following topologies (e.g. without the router in the picture)?

DSL Modem -- ooma Hub -- Computer
DSL Modem -- Computer

Next, try running a speedtest for each of the two topologies at this site:
http://speedtest.net

If you find a significant speed difference in the two above tests, try unplugging the cable connected "WALL" port of the ooma Hub and re-run the tests.

Please let me know what kind of results you find.

Thanks,
Bobby

nanonuke wrote:Additional test data. Here's something interesting

I did a speedtest with my router and I got 2500/378,Then I switched the connection to ooma's home connection to route thru the internet thru ooma and the speed dropped to 1399/137. Does this mean I have just a bad device or is this normal with ooma.
#99 by nanonuke
Tue May 13, 2008 10:22 pm
Bobby,

I ran the tests that you mentioned and they were significantly diffrent and almost half the speed was shown when ooma was in place.So I spoke to the support and they made me reset the ooma device to factory settings.To do this you would have to

1) Remove the power for the ooma device
2) Hold the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hod for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

After the reset,The bandwidth got fixed but I had several intermittent disconnection of the net.So I fainally decided to leave the setup status co. with the ooma device dehind the router and maybe until the ooma device is robust enough to supply consistent connection to the net,I will have to live with the existing setup.Also it could be that ooma is great when you have a single router and maybe 2 computers connected to it.In my case I have lot more devices behind the Net[LAN] and it looks like ooma cannot supply the required bandwidth or there are some issues with other devices on the stack.
#107 by Bobby B
Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 pm
Hi nanonuke,

Great to hear, thanks for letting me know. I'm wondering if there were any changes from the default network config that may have explained why the factory reset cleared those bandwidth problems.

ooma should work okay in front of bandwidth-intensive hosts. We have had a few customers run bittorrent and browse YouTube for the good part of the day without any problems. If you want to troubleshoot the connectivity problems, feel free to shoot me a note. It might take a bit of time to find out the source of the problem though, since these intermittent connectivity problems are oftentimes difficult to pinpoint.

-Bobby
#3673 by zusly
Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Hi, I'm new to these boards, but I found this page when I googled a problem with my wireless network. I am having the same problems as the previous posters. My internet seems to be dropping out, and my speed test are way down. How do I move my Ooma behind my router (Apple Airport "N" model)? What Ooma port should I plug the cable into that would go into the LAN port of my router? Thanks.
#3680 by WayneDsr
Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 pm
Something else that Bobby B was eluding to is the connection to the wall jack from the hub to connect to a Scout.
Sometimes the DSL on the line messes with ooma (or vice versa). To test this do a speed test while using the phone, then unplug the WALL connection on the hub from the wall jack. Do the same with the Scout. This will leave only the hub connected.
Do a speed test now while talking.
If this fixes your speed issue then you have a problem with DSL on the wiring. There is a fix for this if you need it.

Wayne
#3690 by rajeev_mahajan
Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 am
I bought an ethernet switch and plugged in both the ooma and the router into it assuming that they'd be peers now versus a "I'm first in line" kinda deal. The tests on speedtest.net from the laptop wirelessly connected to the router still show very similar speeds as earlier (4.5M up/6.5M down) after I setup the QoS on the ooma and the phone calls remain crisp. Don't know if this is a technically better/worse implementation but so far so good.