Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#20474 by zlikezebra
Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm
i am considering adding a scout to my current setup to be able to add more phones.

However, I am not sure how and if I can do that. As it is all my phone jacks in the house (which take Cat 5 cables as well) are connected to
* a switch (24 ports)
* which again is connected to a router
* which is conntected to a DSL modem
* which is connected to the one incoming DSL line from the outside

So I can plug in anywhere in the house into my network by using any open phonejack. I have been using VOIP since I moved into this place - so I never had a regular landline.

However, I am not sure whether the scout could connect via a switch with the HUB.

Any thoughts on this ?
#20477 by murphy
Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:49 pm
zlikezebra wrote:However, I am not sure whether the scout could connect via a switch with the HUB.

Any thoughts on this ?

It can not.
The hub to scout connection must be a direct wired connection.
#20481 by southsound
Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:11 pm
The hub to scout communication is done using HPNA over the wall connection on the devices - it does not use standard networking. Are you trying to use the additional features of the scout on your system or are you just looking for another place to connect a cordless base? I have a 5 handset Uniden DECT6.0 on my hub as well as some wired phones in other parts of the house. Besides the cables used for networking, do you have other cables running to the location where you want the scout?