Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#20448 by hmkolb
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:38 am
I just received my ooma system yesterday. I have DSL and no current phone service. I have the hub hooked up and working correctly - I can make and receive calls just fine. I AM using the splitter at the jack where the hub is. One side of the splitter goes to the hub, the other side goes to my DSL modem.

I've tried the Scout at different jacks in the house and can't get it to work anywhere. All 4 lights along the bottom of the Scout are lit up and there is no dial tone. These jacks all worked fine when we had a land line phone through the phone company a few months ago, so I don't think it's a wiring issue.

I registered the scout online (at least I THINK I registered it correctly). What else can I try?

Thanks.
#20449 by niknak
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 am
tgemporarily move the scout next to the hub and connect the wall port on the scout to the wall port on the hub using a known good RJ11 caable

The scout should work..if it does then there is a problem with the iring in the walls.
Note: The DSL signal on the phone line interferes with the HPNA signal the scout uses. You need to isolate the connection between hub and scout wall ports using a wire pair without DSL on it

Also I think there was a known issue with scout Serial numbers not registering correctly, if thi is the case you'll need to call CS
#20451 by hpepper
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am
I agree with NIKNAK

Also, when you say you have a splitter, typically what DSL users really have is a DSL filter. One side is made to go direct to the DSL modem. The other side uses the same pair, but has a special filter to connect analog phones. Do you think you might have this instead of an actual splitter? If you have this, the Scout will not work correctly on the pair that DSL is riding on.

If it is an actual splitter, maybe the WALL jack of the hub is going to the second pair on the house wiring which means you will need the same splitter where the Scout is located, so it will use the second pair as well.
#20456 by hmkolb
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 am
No, I do not have a DSL filter - I am using the splitter that came with the ooma. I was under the impression, from the manual, that when you have DSL and are using a scout, you were to use the splitter with the hub.

I tried connecting the "wall" jack on the hub to the "wall" jack on the scout. The scout cycles through it's lights (first two on top, then two in middle, then four on bottom), and then goes totally dark! No lights lit up at all.

Does this mean there's a problem with the scout itself?
#20459 by southsound
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am
hmkolb wrote:No, I do not have a DSL filter - I am using the splitter that came with the ooma. I was under the impression, from the manual, that when you have DSL and are using a scout, you were to use the splitter with the hub.

I tried connecting the "wall" jack on the hub to the "wall" jack on the scout. The scout cycles through it's lights (first two on top, then two in middle, then four on bottom), and then goes totally dark! No lights lit up at all.

Does this mean there's a problem with the scout itself?

No, what it probably means is that you may have bumped the little light dimmer wheel on the (I believe right) side of the scout. One side is volume, the other is brightness.

Niknak is correct about needing to use a separate pair of wires for DSL and the hub/scout connection. Is it possible to isolate the pair used by the DSL modem and use the remaining pairs for this connection?
#20466 by hmkolb
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 am
Yes, the brightness dial was turned down - when I turned it up, the light on the scout turned blue. This is when it's connected directly to the hub, so the scout is working fine.

I don't know what you mean by "isolate the line". I'm not familiar with phone jack wiring!

A friend of mine suggested that maybe my DSL filters are built into my phone jacks. Is anyone familiar with this? Could that be the problem? This is a 2-year-old house and we're the first to live here so I'm sure there aren't multiple phone lines or anything.
#20472 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 pm
You have a new house so I'm going to assume it is wired for 2 lines.
Easiest way is to buy 2 - 2 line adapters. It is an adapter that has a line 1 jack and a line 2 jack on it. You plug this into your wall jack. One at the hubs end and one at the Scouts wall jack.
Plug the WALL port of the hub into line 2 jack on the adaptor and plug the WALL port of the Scout into the line 2 jack on the second adaptor in the room of your choice.
This isolates the dsl (which is on line 1) from the hpna signal the Scout uses on line 2.

Another cleaner way is to buy 2 line wall plates and intsall them in your house.

Wayne
#20475 by troywilliams
Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:42 pm
Your problem is likely the same as the one I posted about a few days ago. My house was wired with a whole house DSL filter outside where the phone lines come it. I don't have DSL anymore but the mere fact that the house wiring was run through the filter was causing the scout to not work. I am pretty proficient with things like this so I was able to go to the network (telco) interface box and "re-wire" it by passing the whole house filter.

You may be able to acomplish the same thing by doing as the previous poster mention and using the 2nd line if your house is wired for it.