Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1366 by topshelf
Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 am
Hello all,

I tried the test on my scout and it worked which leads me to believe that the wiring is the problem. However, when I first installed the scout I did get a blue light and successfully made test calls.

Does anybody have an explanation as to why the wiring would be fine for the first day and then stop working and give me 4 reds on the scout after 24 hours of sucessful use?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
#1530 by dhalsey
Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:02 pm
I have a nearly identical problem -- got the blue light on the Scout initially (but a really bad buzzing on the line and the Scout switched over to my landline), and now, an hour later, I only get solid red on the 4 buttons across the bottom on the Scout.
#1542 by topshelf
Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:02 am
Hello All,

I seemed to have figured out my problem. When I was thinking "wiring problem" I was thinking of the wiring "inside" the walls of the house.

It never occurred to me that it could be and excessively long wire "outside" the wall i.e. from the wall to the scout or hub.

This was indeed my problem as I started off using the original wires included with system but went to the store and bougt a longer one so I could pull it closer to my computer as I was trying to set up a home office. The second I switched back and used the wires that were included with ooma everything went back to normal.

Thanks and take care.
#1559 by dhalsey
Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:56 pm
I too solved my wiring issue today. My original home phone line wiring, fully accessible in the joists of my basement ceiling, turned out to inadequate over a 25' run. I ran a parallel line of Cat5 wiring to replace the old home phone line wiring and now the Hub and the Scout talk to each other just fine.

I was ready to go out and purchase a multi-unit cordless Dect 6.0 system to plug into the Hub and distribute handsets around the house, but with about 30 mins of rewiring, I have solved my problem.

Long runs of old wiring between the Hub and Scout = potential problem.
#1579 by DED
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 pm
I have a problem getting the scout to communicate with the hub as well. I couldn't get through to technical service either; after 24 mins I got the "leave your name and number" command but still no return call after 2 days.

Thinking that it might be associated with "long wiring", I connected the scout directly to the hub thereby eliminating any jacks or long runs of wiring but still have the bottom bank of lights all red.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The hub works fine.
#1584 by dhalsey
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:22 pm
If I understand the Scout's expectation -- the solid red lights on the bottom row indicate that not only can it not communicate via HPNA with the Hub, but if the system is set up to be connected to a landline, it expects to also have a landline detection. If you connect the Scout directly to the Hub and bypass a connection to your landline, I believe you will also get the error code.

You might want to snip or strip an old phone line connector cord and add a link to a wall jack in the mix to see if that solves your problem.
#1601 by dlherrin
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:54 am
dhalsey wrote:I too solved my wiring issue today. My original home phone line wiring, fully accessible in the joists of my basement ceiling, turned out to inadequate over a 25' run. I ran a parallel line of Cat5 wiring to replace the old home phone line wiring and now the Hub and the Scout talk to each other just fine.

I was ready to go out and purchase a multi-unit cordless Dect 6.0 system to plug into the Hub and distribute handsets around the house, but with about 30 mins of rewiring, I have solved my problem....

Thanks for the advice about the Cat5 wiring. I will try that, although in my case it is a more difficult project. In the meantime I went with the DECT 6.0 cordless solution. I can highly recommend the Panasonic KX-TG1033S. With the base plugged into the back of the ooma hub we use the ooma broadband voicemail instead of the cordless phone's answering machine. You can configure each Panasonic handset so that when there is a message waiting on ooma the amber light will blink. You then pick up the cordless extension and then dial your own phone number to listen to your messages on the handset. (Yes, your own phone number -- counter-intuitive, ain't it?)

Dave
#1603 by DED
Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:03 am
dhalsey wrote:If I understand the Scout's expectation -- the solid red lights on the bottom row indicate that not only can it not communicate via HPNA with the Hub, but if the system is set up to be connected to a landline, it expects to also have a landline detection. If you connect the Scout directly to the Hub and bypass a connection to your landline, I believe you will also get the error code.

You might want to snip or strip an old phone line connector cord and add a link to a wall jack in the mix to see if that solves your problem.

Thanks for your input dhalsey. I don't have a landline though. I'm making the switch from Vonage so in my case I've already been disconnected from the network for about 2 years now.

I saw on another posting that someone recommended plugging directly into the hub to test the scout so I thought I would give it a try. There were no additional comments indicating that the direct connection would not work. It made sense to me that plugging the scout into the hub would make for a better connection, because of the reduced wiring and lack of jack connections, but maybe the technology needs that part of the wiring to make it work.

Because I have relatively easy access to the wiring from my basement, I can see that the house lines are run in parallel; all lines appear to be separate and start at a single junction strip. So, from where the hub is set up I've got to run about 25 feet from the room jack back to the junction strip and then out whatever length to the next room jack. It doesn't seem to be an excessive length to me but the scout might be that sensitive. I'm going to try and simplify the wiring runs, starting at a new location near the hub. I'll try the Cat5 wiring as you suggested too.

Thanks again for your input.

DED
#1658 by DED
Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:31 pm
Just a quick update for anybody else trying to trouble shoot the same issue. I ran new Cat5 wire (about 25 feet or so) direct from jack1 to jack2 and the scout worked. That say's something about long runs of wiring in an older home. The second run is going to be about 50 feet or so. At that point, run 1 and run 2 will be spliced into a junction strip. We'll see what happens then.
#1670 by RedLead550
Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:04 am
I have a somewhat similar situation but, I have a new house that is fully CAT6 wired and I can't get the Scout to work downstairs. The hub for all the wiring is in the master bedroom closet which is where I've wired the Ooma hub and connected it to the patch panel for the kitchen outlet but the Scout won't connect there.

Any ideas?