Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4121 by runagun
Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 pm
Yeah, I was thinking that. The Airave(sprint signal booster) is the only thing connect to Ooma (Modem>Router>Ooma>Airave). So far its been working without a hitch. Ooma's quality has still been top notch. So, I think for the time being I'm gonna keep the setup as-is.

WayneDsr wrote:runagun:
I would get a cheap 4+ port switch (hub) and connect it to your router.
Not sure if connecting to your ooma might slow down your internet connection during a call or mess with call quality.

Wayne
#4155 by kradoom
Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:00 am
u guys don't get any lag or connections being dropped with ooma behind your router? The lag is very hard to notice if you are just surfing the web but if you play a game you will notice it because it happens in intervals..

I tried two different routers and I am still getting the same problem..
#4184 by murphy
Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:31 am
kradoom wrote:So is there no fix to connecting to the internal server with the setup

modem->ooma-> router?

I am using this setup now and I can't access SSH on my router.... how do I fix this?

Configure the ooma hub so that it can issue exactly one IP address and place that IP address in the ooma hub's DMZ zone.

That is all that I had to do. I can access my router from remote locations. I can connect to computers on my LAN using pcAnywhere or Remote Desktop. I can even turn computers on that are off from remote locations. The only gotcha is that if you are using DynDNS you must disable the support in the router and run the DynDNS client on a computer on your LAN because almost all routers implement the DynDNS protocol incorrectly.
Specifically they send the WAN IP address to DynDNS instead of asking the DynDNS server, that is provided for the purpose, what their IP address is.
#4226 by lohertz
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm
kradoom wrote:u guys don't get any lag or connections being dropped with ooma behind your router? The lag is very hard to notice if you are just surfing the web but if you play a game you will notice it because it happens in intervals..

I tried two different routers and I am still getting the same problem..

What router do you have and what's your upload speeds? Adjust QoS to reflect upload speeds and set priorities in QoS for optimum performance.
#4227 by lohertz
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:43 pm
kradoom wrote:So is there no fix to connecting to the internal server with the setup

modem->ooma-> router?

I am using this setup now and I can't access SSH on my router.... how do I fix this?

modem > router > ooma

that will fix all your problems
#4228 by lohertz
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
murphy wrote:

modem->ooma-> router?

Configure the ooma hub so that it can issue exactly one IP address and place that IP address in the ooma hub's DMZ zone.

That is all that I had to do. I can access my router from remote locations. I can connect to computers on my LAN using pcAnywhere or Remote Desktop. I can even turn computers on that are off from remote locations. The only gotcha is that if you are using DynDNS you must disable the support in the router and run the DynDNS client on a computer on your LAN because almost all routers implement the DynDNS protocol incorrectly.
Specifically they send the WAN IP address to DynDNS instead of asking the DynDNS server, that is provided for the purpose, what their IP address is.

Why do you keep recommending this? How does this improve anything beside open all ports to the internal network.

Let the router do the job its suppose to do, allow the dchp and QoS do its job. What your advising is unnecessary and really doesnt help anybody.
K-I-S-S
#4230 by kradoom
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:52 pm
lohertz,

I have a linksys wrt54g-tm router, my upload speed is 512kbits

with the setup

modem->ooma->router

everything works fine except I can't access services from the internet, even when I enabled DMZ with a static IP like murphy suggested..

with the setup

modem->router->ooma

I get packets dropped on my internet connection when ooma is IDLE.. as long as ooma is plugged in, my internet connection gets messed up. I do NOT have a landlined plugged in.. Has anyone tried having the setup
modem->router-ooma and played an online game? I always get disconnected with that setup or I lag horribly.. and it is definately dued to ooma connected to the router. I just don't know what it is doing to it that is causing the lag.. if anyone has any clue why that would help..

I tried all devices on their own, and each works flawlessly.. only when everything is connected together the problem arises.. please help.. been suffering from this problem for the last week!!
#4232 by lohertz
Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 pm
kradoom wrote:lohertz,

I have a linksys wrt54g-tm router, my upload speed is 512kbits

with the setup

modem->ooma->router

everything works fine except I can't access services from the internet, even when I enabled DMZ with a static IP like murphy suggested..

with the setup

modem->router->ooma

I get packets dropped on my internet connection when ooma is IDLE.. as long as ooma is plugged in, my internet connection gets messed up. I do NOT have a landlined plugged in.. Has anyone tried having the setup
modem->router-ooma and played an online game? I always get disconnected with that setup or I lag horribly.. and it is definately dued to ooma connected to the router. I just don't know what it is doing to it that is causing the lag.. if anyone has any clue why that would help..

I tried all devices on their own, and each works flawlessly.. only when everything is connected together the problem arises.. please help.. been suffering from this problem for the last week!!

Setup should be
modem > router > ooma

adjust the QoS in your router to prioritize the port forwarding for online games above the ooma.

In this situation, assign a static ip to ooma and have a lower priority than the online game ip address

I'm sure you have, but just to be sure go to speedtest.net and run a speed test and enter your upload speed into the QoS.
Attachments
ooma.JPG
ooma.JPG (129.63 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
#4233 by murphy
Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:09 pm
lohertz wrote:Why do you keep recommending this? How does this improve anything beside open all ports to the internal network.

It open all of the ports to the input side of the router, not to the internal network. It lets the router work exactly like it would if the ooma hub wasn't between it and the modem.