Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#20175 by lesag002
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 am
Sorry if this is covered in the ooma documentation. Guess I'm too lazy to look for the answer myself (although I guess posting is another way of looking for the answer eh?). I figure this is an easy one anyway...

Right now my landline is integrated with the ooma. What if a bad storm blows a tree down that takes down our phone line with it? If we haven't lost our cable/internet, I should still be able to make calls with ooma via the internet right?

Thanks
#20178 by bryanlyle
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 am
lesag002 wrote:Sorry if this is covered in the ooma documentation. Guess I'm too lazy to look for the answer myself (although I guess posting is another way of looking for the answer eh?). I figure this is an easy one anyway...

Right now my landline is integrated with the ooma. What if a bad storm blows a tree down that takes down our phone line with it? If we haven't lost our cable/internet, I should still be able to make calls with ooma via the internet right?

Thanks

I think if the landline goes down, Ooma goes down.
#20180 by niknak
Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am
...I think if the landline goes down, Ooma goes down...

I think that's correct because the landline is integrated with the hub

If the hub were assigned it's own number and the internet was up, ooma would be up
#20185 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 am
Yep, if the landline goes down ooma goes down. The chances are greater of a network issue than a landline issue, though.
With my experience with cable (in the past) I'd worry about the cable over the landline!

However, I have a landline separate from the ooma hub. If ooma goes down, my landline is just a wall jack away. If my landline goes down I'm totally out of luck because I have DSL. (unless the dsl portion stays up)

I can count the number of times my land line went down totally in 25 years on one hand. Cable was a whole different story....

Wayne
#20188 by southsound
Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 am
Given the advantages and disadvantages of integrating your landline with the hub, some of us (like Wayne) have chosen to keep our landline separate. I still need to have a landline until next May or so to get the great pricing I have on my Qwest DSL - but I get some other advantages too. I get a second number (actually by only ooma number) without needing to subscribe to Premier, I still have a backup in case my Internet goes down, and (in time) I can reduce my landline to the most basic plan - no provisioning required. I use Google Voice as a front end for our phones so if there is a problem with either ooma or the landline, callers still dial the same number. Last month a squirrel chewed through the fiber cable that fed voice to our island. It was 5 days before all was well again but callers didn't have a clue as they still dialed the same number. I just changed where GV forwarded the calls. If I had integrated my landline I would have been without service for those days.