Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1028 by pamraj
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:20 pm
Hi,
I have this setup.
CableModem<---->VOIP Router<--->ROUTER<--->OOMA
And doesnt work. I am curious if OOMA needs ports forwarded on the routers side.
If I switch OOMA position with VOIP router, the VOIP will fail.

Anyone thoughts?

Thanks.
#1032 by girimurthy
Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am
What is the VOIP router for. Do you have anyother voip provider.

My setup is Cable Modem <---> Ooma <---> Router. This is working fine for me.

Earlier I had vonage and I had it like this Cable Modem <----> Router <----> Vonage.
#1049 by pamraj
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:36 pm
its a net2phone voip router. I am wondering if I need to have some ports forwarded.
#1163 by Soundjudgment
Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am
Just to add to the flexibility that the Ooma Hub allows for, here is my hookup:

Cable Modem ---> Linksys Router ---> Ooma Hub ---> Phone.

That's right. It isn't listed in the Ooma literature, but I can have the Ooma Hub running *behind* both the Modem and the Wired Router. No need to have any PC computer plugged into the back of the Ooma or anything like that. Ooma simply connects on one of the 5 Ethernet Ports of the House Router just as the other PC computers do. The Ooma base gets assigned a Dynamic IP from the Router and absolutely no extra configuration needed to be done to get that blue LED solidly working on the Ooma Box. No need to set up Port Forwarding or anything in the Router itself, either.

Now that is what I call convenience, and ease of operation right out of the retail box! :)
Last edited by Soundjudgment on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
#1177 by RipV
Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:14 pm
I took Ooma seriously and put the Ooma close as possible to my cable modem. I have this setup:

cable modem --- Ooma --- VoIP modem --- LinkSys WRT610N router

The string worked right out of the box. Ooma is clear as a bell. Vonage VoIP pretty clear, as usual.

Dont think that I dont have my fingers crossed - big time, but it is all hanging together so far.

InventorNC
#38090 by VAM26338
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:52 pm
I JUST GOT MY OOMA AND HAVE IT SET UP THUSLY:

ATT MODEM===>WIRELESS TO MAC===>OOMA

I GET A GRAINY STATIC

MY MODEM IS IN MY ATTIC AND WORKS WELL AS A WIRELESS. BUT, DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK?

ATT MODEM===>NETGEAR SUPER WIRELESS G ROUTER===>OOMA

THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME.

THANKS

ERIC
#38116 by oldanbo
Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:12 pm
VAM26338 wrote:I JUST GOT MY OOMA AND HAVE IT SET UP THUSLY:

ATT MODEM===>WIRELESS TO MAC===>OOMA

I GET A GRAINY STATIC

MY MODEM IS IN MY ATTIC AND WORKS WELL AS A WIRELESS. BUT, DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK?

ATT MODEM===>NETGEAR SUPER WIRELESS G ROUTER===>OOMA

THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME.

THANKS

ERIC

First off, welcome to the forum. There are many kind, knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help.

Secondly, it is considered to be rude to type in all caps. It's called shouting in forumspeak. And you will find that to be true in your internet travels.

Now that my eyeballs have quit spurting blood, I would say that yes it will work. I have a different modem and router, but I use that setup as do many others.

Cheers