Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#27711 by mikesuth
Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 am
jschmidt wrote:Ok I cleared the DMZ (this time for real) and added a single port forward and still no luck. Starting to be less optimistic.

I had exactly the same problem you are struggling with, and spent an enormous amount of time trying things. In my case, it turned out to be the modem. I did not have IP Passthru set in the modem, and it was blocking some ports. Might be worth a look?

My setup: Modem -> Ooma -> Router -> Devices

Some comments:

1. I recommend terminating the ISP loop (PPPoE) in the modem, if you can, and using DHCP for the Ooma and router. This makes network reconfiguration easier. And make sure IP Passthru (or your modem's equivalent) is set in the modem.

2. For Ooma, don't create any rules, just set the DMZ. Put 172.27.35.2 into the DHCP Start and End fields, and into the DMZ field. For QoS, no more than 384 upstream, 0 downstream (assuming at least 1Mbps broadband service), and default for the reserved bandwidth.

3. Many people recommend putting the Ooma hub behind the router. While that simplifies things, I don't think it works as well. If you do that, your QoS settings in the Ooma hub are ignored, and are instead controlled by the router. When I turn on QoS in my Linksys router, it grabs about 60% of my upstream bandwodth, and reserves it - whether a call is going on or not! I don't like that. The Ooma hub only grabs bandwidth during a call. You can test this using Speakeasy's Speedtest.

4. My only complaint about the Ooma hub is that it doesn't support Dynamic DNS. I don't know why. In their recommended configuration, which I use, the Ooma hub is the only device that sees the real Internet IP address. I use the DynDNS client on a PC, which does the job, but the hub could do it better.

Hope this helps.
#29841 by ybrew
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:02 pm
Any solution to this?

I'm trying to setup port forwarding and not having any luck either.

I might have a solution for mine that I just thought of though. I need wireless from my router, but don't need to run two separate dhcp servers, so I can probably disable dhcp from my router and just use dhcp from the ooma. And if I do that, I might be able to put my router somewhere else in my house to make it more accessible, rather than just having it in my closet.

I do need ooma first after my cable modem though as QoS is important to keep my wife happy w/ ooma.
#29901 by tommies
Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm
ybrew wrote:Any solution to this?

I'm trying to setup port forwarding and not having any luck either.

I might have a solution for mine that I just thought of though. I need wireless from my router, but don't need to run two separate dhcp servers, so I can probably disable dhcp from my router and just use dhcp from the ooma. And if I do that, I might be able to put my router somewhere else in my house to make it more accessible, rather than just having it in my closet.

I do need ooma first after my cable modem though as QoS is important to keep my wife happy w/ ooma.

If your router supports QoS, I recommend to place the ooma behind the router. I do--and so does many others in this forum--have ooma behind router. I have two hubs behind a router, which controls QoS, and I only have DSL 1.5Mb down / 256kb up.

I'm a happy camper here.