Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#19420 by rustiangel
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 pm
I have a Motorola Comcast Cable modem -> Ooma Hub (Modem Port) ->Home Port to Internet port on linksys router (Automatic obtain DHCP/hard coded DNS)

MY computer can connect to the Internet plugged in directly to the linksys switch port, but when i log into the ooma hub it says its registering please wait, my question is how does the ooma core "register" does it connect to an IP address of a server, or does it use DNS? I'm wondering if I may have to program in my DNS servers into the ooma hub network config, as I had to do with my linksys originally, since the Modem does not hand out DNS servers, I am stuck at work waiting 3 hours for a tech to call me back. any advice in the mean time would be awesome.
#19422 by southsound
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 pm
rustiangel,

First off, welcome to ooma and we're glad you found the forum. Lots of good people and advice. First question, did you activate your unit using the activation tab at the ooma.com website? This is a critical step and can cause the problem you describe. If you did, then the next step is to check like Aaron (Aveamantium) said - the 8's and B's are really hard to discern with the font ooma uses.
#19425 by rustiangel
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:23 pm
southsound wrote:rustiangel,

First off, welcome to ooma and we're glad you found the forum. Lots of good people and advice. First question, did you activate your unit using the activation tab at the ooma.com website? This is a critical step and can cause the problem you describe. If you did, then the next step is to check like Aaron (Aveamantium) said - the 8's and B's are really hard to discern with the font ooma uses.

Yes i did the activation, the result was :

Your account phone number is: (xxx) xxx-xxx Your ooma Hub MAC address is: 0018610088BC
Your 911 service address is:
John Doe
etc, 123456
#19426 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm
Yes i did the activation, the result was :
Your account phone number is: (xxx) xxx-xxx
Your ooma Hub MAC address is: 0018610088BC
Your 911 service address is:
John Doe
etc, 123456

yes, but is the MAC address listed the same as the MAC address that is printed on the hub? As other posters stated B & 8 (and D & 0) look similar - if you registered the hub with a MAC different from what it actually is the hub won't work
#19438 by rustiangel
Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm
Groundhound wrote:You can also see your MAC address in an easier to read format by connecting your computer to the hub's home port and going to http://setup.ooma.com. Your MAC address needed for registration is listed under: Network>Home Port MAC Address.

I'll have to compare the one i got at registration time, to the one on the bottom, to the one on the setup page, when i get home, but by then a ooma tech should call me back to finish trying to get this resolved i was hoping to figure it out on my own, I have that tendency being a Internet support technician / Network engineer :). But I hope it's something simple like a mac address typo. I'll let you know if all the mac's match etc in about an hour.