Porting Question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Post Reply
mezzy316
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 am

Porting Question

Post by mezzy316 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:55 am

I just installed my Ooma on Saturday. So far it is working well. When I registered my Ooma, I filled out the online forms for porting my number. It appeared that was all I needed to do. However, I keep reading in other posts that there is paperwork that needs to get sent in as well. Is that correct? If so, I never saw those instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. The sooner I can get away from AT&T the better!

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Porting Question

Post by niknak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am

mezzy316 wrote:I just installed my Ooma on Saturday. So far it is working well. When I registered my Ooma, I filled out the online forms for porting my number. It appeared that was all I needed to do. However, I keep reading in other posts that there is paperwork that needs to get sent in as well. Is that correct? If so, I never saw those instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. The sooner I can get away from AT&T the better!

you should get an email from ooma's porting department with a LOA -
Letter of Authority - which you need to fill out and return along with a copy of your current phone bill

Groundhound
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Porting Question

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 am

niknak wrote:
mezzy316 wrote:I just installed my Ooma on Saturday. So far it is working well. When I registered my Ooma, I filled out the online forms for porting my number. It appeared that was all I needed to do. However, I keep reading in other posts that there is paperwork that needs to get sent in as well. Is that correct? If so, I never saw those instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. The sooner I can get away from AT&T the better!

you should get an email from ooma's porting department with a LOA -
Letter of Authority - which you need to fill out and return along with a copy of your current phone bill
When I ported my number from Comcast to Ooma, the LOA was done online with no bill or snailmail/fax needed.

mezzy316
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Porting Question

Post by mezzy316 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 am

That's why I'm confused. I did get an email from Ooma with a PDF copy of the LOA I filled out online. However, it said it was just for my records. It didn't tell me to mail/fax it anywhere.

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Porting Question

Post by niknak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:57 am

I filled mine out by hand and faxed it back to ooma while the csr was waiting by the fax machine to be sure it was received

this was to insure a fast processing

Mine was done 6 months ago, maybe they changed procedures by now?

mezzy316
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Porting Question

Post by mezzy316 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:39 am

I'm not sure. I do know that there was nothing online nor in the email I received stating that I had to send any paperwork in. Is there a moderator/expert on here that can answer this one way or the other? I don't want to find out that my port didn't go through because Ooma was waiting on something from me.

Groundhound
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Porting Question

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 am

mezzy316 wrote:I'm not sure. I do know that there was nothing online nor in the email I received stating that I had to send any paperwork in. Is there a moderator/expert on here that can answer this one way or the other? I don't want to find out that my port didn't go through because Ooma was waiting on something from me.
Did your email that had the completed LOA attached have a section in the body of the email titled "Next Steps", and if so did it contain a paragraph like this?
If there are any problems with your order, you will immediately be notified by a porting specialist at ooma. Otherwise, sit back and relax while your order works its way through the system. We know you're anxious to leave your old phone bill behind, and so are we!

mezzy316
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Porting Question

Post by mezzy316 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Groundhound wrote:
mezzy316 wrote:I'm not sure. I do know that there was nothing online nor in the email I received stating that I had to send any paperwork in. Is there a moderator/expert on here that can answer this one way or the other? I don't want to find out that my port didn't go through because Ooma was waiting on something from me.
Did your email that had the completed LOA attached have a section in the body of the email titled "Next Steps", and if so did it contain a paragraph like this?
If there are any problems with your order, you will immediately be notified by a porting specialist at ooma. Otherwise, sit back and relax while your order works its way through the system. We know you're anxious to leave your old phone bill behind, and so are we!
Yes, it did, which is why I assumed I didn't need to do anything else.

Groundhound
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Porting Question

Post by Groundhound » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:18 pm

The next email you will likely get, about 10 days or so after the last one, will tell you what date your port is scheduled for, about another 10 days or so after that.

mezzy316
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Porting Question

Post by mezzy316 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:28 am

Received an email from Ooma saying that my port is scheduled for the week of 9/24 (weird "week of" since that's a Thursday). I guess now it's just wait-and-see.

Post Reply