Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#21651 by JohnAx
Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 pm
FWIW I eventually got around to plugging ooma directly into Verizon's DSL modem. After a few seconds ooma's pretty blue light became angry red.

Any experts who can think of how I might want to configure the Verizon/Westell modem will be profusely thanked.
#21660 by murphy
Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 am
Are your PPPoE credentials (user ID and password) entered into your Westell modem or is it in a bridge mode that requires the device behind it to supply the credentials?

If the latter, connect to the ooma hub by connecting to

http://setup.ooma.com

or

http://172.27.35.1

Click on Network in the left pane.
Set the Network Connection to PPPoE.
Enter your Username and Password in the fields directly below and then click on the Update button.

If the former is true, set the Network Connection to DHCP.
#21697 by JohnAx
Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am
Thanks, Murphy. That's a good thing to check. In my case the Verizon modem normally is plugged into a wan port on a Netgear FVS124G and serves up an address via DHCP. Ooma normally is plugged into the lan side of the Netgear box, and gets an address from it. So everything should be configured correctly when I bypass the Netgear box and connect ooma directly to Verizon.

Note that the Netgear box supports two WANs - one is TW cable, the other is Verizon DSL. My initial observation was, when ooma was connected to a LAN port and both WANs were enabled, I could hear the caller but not vice versa. Above, a lot of suggestions focused on the non-preferred cofiguration downstream of an intelligent network device, thus the direct-to-Verizon experiment.

There's a clue in the observation that direct-to-Verizon got me a red light, but when the Netgear box was allowed to use both WANs the system worked except for outgoing conversation, but I can't put a finger on it.

The system works perfectly if I tell Netgear to not use the Verizon WAN. There are no unusual rules in place in the Netgear box, so it should be applying its normal rules identically to both WANs.