Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#19224 by JohnAx
Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:47 am
Home network ends up at a Netgear FVS124G that allows two WANs. One is cable, the other is Verizon DSL.

I use the Netgear box in its "load balancing" mode, in which it puts traffic on both WANs at its whim, but I can easily manage that by type, e.g. if I want to get all my email from one ISP I can specify that connection for pop3.

Since people always ask, Ooma connects directly to Netgear, which serves it an IP address (defaulted to 192.xxx). FWIW it's a high-performance router in their 'business' category.

My problem:

Ooma seems to work fine when only the cable is connected. When DSL is connected I can initiate calls and I can hear the callee, but he can't hear me.

Q1: Since I can direct Netgear to connect specific services to a specific WAN, what "service" does ooma use? If necessary I can define a new service and associate it with a port, if I knew the number.

Q2: What's with the Verizon DSL problem? Their modem is managed, but afaik I've left it at defaults settings. Do they discriminate against VOIP?
#19231 by Groundhound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 am
thbjr wrote:
Groundhound wrote:This article may be useful:
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/12652/14888/article.asp?aid=261435&tab=faq&bt=4n&r=0.2330438

I get nothing from that link..Groundhound, just a blank page.
Tom

Interesting, it works for me, but here's another link to the same article:
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/article.asp?article=261435&p=12040
#19233 by niknak
Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:00 pm
...Q2: What's with the Verizon DSL problem? Their modem is managed, but afaik I've left it at defaults settings. Do they discriminate against VOIP?...

no, i use verizon FIOS with no problems - there are issues when using DSL and ooma, DSL signals interfere with HPNA that ooma uses
#19261 by JohnAx
Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:48 pm
niknak, I think your comment about DSL and HPNA is only a Scout issue. The WAN just carries ethernet/IP packets, not special ooma signals. Telco may have their own out-of-band signalling but it will be designed not to interfere with IP packets.
#19263 by JohnAx
Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:04 pm
And thanks to groundhog and thbjr for the link, although it doesn't address my problem. The Netgear box is playing nicely and passing all those ports, since the system works fine on the cable WAN.

What I need is a way to make a simple rule that lets it recognize ooma traffic and restrict it to the cable WAN. The built-in rules are generally a well-known port and a protocol, e.g. TCP on port 80 = http.

Alternately, understanding the DSL/Verizon issue might help. I double-checked and I hadn't accidentally set up the Netgear box in some way that discriminated.
#19277 by Groundhound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:23 pm
JohnAx wrote:And thanks to groundhog and thbjr for the link, although it doesn't address my problem. The Netgear box is playing nicely and passing all those ports, since the system works fine on the cable WAN.

What I need is a way to make a simple rule that lets it recognize ooma traffic and restrict it to the cable WAN. The built-in rules are generally a well-known port and a protocol, e.g. TCP on port 80 = http.

Alternately, understanding the DSL/Verizon issue might help. I double-checked and I hadn't accidentally set up the Netgear box in some way that discriminated.

You're probably going to need to search a forum that has specifics for your router. Putting the Hub between the cable modem and the router would do what you want as far as calling is concerned, but if you use the Hub's QoS your router's load balancing may be a problem while a call is in progress.
#19279 by JohnAx
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:50 pm
Groundhound wrote:You're probably going to need to search a forum that has specifics for your router. Putting the Hub between the cable modem and the router would do what you want as far as calling is concerned, but if you use the Hub's QoS your router's load balancing may be a problem while a call is in progress.

Sorry, that reply was lost on me. Netgear probably knows nothing about ooma so could offer no practical advice. And it's not ooma's problem either, since nowhere do they suggest that my configuration should work. But they're the new kid trying to attract customers so I'm hoping their support people will have something useful to say when the holiday's over, assuming they monitor these forums.
#19281 by Groundhound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 pm
JohnAx wrote:
Groundhound wrote:You're probably going to need to search a forum that has specifics for your router. Putting the Hub between the cable modem and the router would do what you want as far as calling is concerned, but if you use the Hub's QoS your router's load balancing may be a problem while a call is in progress.

Sorry, that reply was lost on me. Netgear probably knows nothing about ooma so could offer no practical advice. And it's not ooma's problem either, since nowhere do they suggest that my configuration should work. But they're the new kid trying to attract customers so I'm hoping their support people will have something useful to say when the holiday's over, assuming they monitor these forums.

With the hub behind your router, any rules that direct the Hub's traffic exclusively to the cable modem would, I assume, be a function of the router.

If on the other hand you place the hub between the cable modem and the router the setup is easy, just with the caveats about QoS and load balancing I mentioned earlier.