Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18875 by Aveamantium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:04 am
murphy wrote:If you are using a scout wired through the wall you can't have the hub to scout HPNA signal on wires that also have a DSL signal. They will wipe each other out. The DSL signal should go direct to the DSL modem and no place else.

Good call... I assumed since he never mentioned the scout, that he was dealing directly with the hub and therefore wouldn't be the issue. However, you know what they say about assuming...
#18898 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:32 pm
That was a safe assumption however as I'm usually particular about the words I use. No Scout used. Don't even intend on using considering I bought a 3-phone wireless system. They reach throughout the entire house so no real need for Scout (that I know of). I'll give Ooma tech a call with all the great advice here. I will also run a new wire for extra insurance as well. I work from the house and upload very large files all the time so I cannot afford any sort of dropout. Any other suggestions please let me know, and if tech works this out I will post the results for the next guy going overseas with this.
#18929 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:16 pm
I think I have found the problem. My ISP possibly fixed this. I went to that link to run a VoIP test... speed was great but it was working 18% of the time. No good! So with a call to the ISP they informed me in the past 24 hours my DSL line cut out over 40 times. So they had me make some changes to the modem to stabilize it, and it seems to be working now. Unfortunately it's 3AM on the east coast right now, but I plan on making phone calls later to test it. This seems to totally be a ISP issue however. I'll post again once calls are made.
#18938 by spratrbo
Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am
okay this is proving to be frustrating....

I have upgraded the physical line in the house. I have contacted my ISP and we slowed the modem down for a more solid/reliable connection. It seems better. I went to the VoIP speed test site and the numbers seem better... in terms of quality of service I went from 18% to 69%. All the other numbers are in the green.

So... again when I go to make a call I get the Ooma dial tone, dial the number, I get one ring and then immediately get a "fizzle" sound for about a second and no more rings. Very strange... also... the "play" button constantly blinks. I don't know if that's of importance.

So that's it... back to square one and still unable to make calls. I will call tech support in a couple hours when they are open on the west coast. but I'm going nuts here.
#18939 by murphy
Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:05 am
A blinking play button means that you have voice mail waiting to be listened to. Push the play button to listen to it.
#19979 by spratrbo
Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 am
Ok.... problems have all been solved now so for the benefit of anyone thinking of taking one of these overseas I will add my two cents.

It took 3 days of trouble shooting with Ooma tech and my ISP tech. Here's what it took... The number one thing anyone needs to have is a solid internet line. I did the VoIP speed test, and while I have a fast line, the connection was sporadic at best. BTW I have a ADSL+2 in Melbourne Australia. So with my ISP we went into the modem via Firefox and limited the speed to enable more stability. While this helped a little, ultimately I have run a brand new line from the outside hub straight to the computer. Line reliability went from 18% to 69%... that's HUGE!!! With calling Ooma tech, we also allocated more line memory/bandwidth just for Ooma. Considering it would be doubtful we would be uploading/downloading heavily during a phone call this was no issue. The last thing that did the trick... disable the internal firewall of the modem. I don't need one at this point of the chain considering the computer is after the modem.

Calls have been rock solid!!! People call me and I call them without issues. And there is hardly a noticeable delay in talking. We get echoes every once in a great while, but it's a small sacrifice for the small cost of the device.

That's it... hope this helped!