Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18844 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:28 am
I have searched through these forums and just cannot find the best answer so hoping someone here can help directly.

Bought my Ooma in US and was using. Now I'm in Australia with it. Just had ADSL+2 line hooked up (faster DSL) and I cannot get the Ooma device to boot up at all. Modem is working, and then I plug in Ooma between modem and computer directly. Give it power and things light up red. The little Ooma light at top blinks a few times and then I hear what sounds like a relay or internal switch, and Ooma turns off. It will not come back after that unless I unplug and replug... then it goes through the same.

Does anyone have experience and tips on using these overseas? Any help at this point would be great.
#18845 by Aveamantium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:33 am
Do all the lights go out? Are you sure it isn't working? It may be that the light wheel (right side I believe) is turned down and it is actually connecting fine?
#18855 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:44 am
Ok... checked the left dimmer and it seems the blue light will just not light up. So I hooked up phone and surprisingly got the Ooma dial tone. So I go to make a call and it does one of two things. It either rings on the other end and when they pick up it's silence or it completely knocks out my DSL connection. So does this mean I have a bum DSL line? Now I just don't know.
#18859 by Aveamantium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 am
Left side is the volume (my bad, I edited my above post, sorry). The brightness control is on the right side.

Not sure about the DSL issue...
#18865 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:19 am
Well okay and a huge "DUH" for me.. with the right dial now the blue light does light up. However I want to try to make a call a couple more times and while it rings on the other end and comes up as "ooma" on the caller ID, it only rings once on my handset and I hear almost like a fizzle and then no more rings.

Not sure what RTP and SIP is. Are there questions though I should be asking my ISP?
#18867 by Aveamantium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 am
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is what begins the communication and RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol) is what carries your voice after the call is initiated. They are both on UDP and not TCP (Port config). You might give support a call and see if their servers are getting your VPN connection ok. Sorry for all the acronyms...
#18872 by spratrbo
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:53 am
ok... just to clarify

You are saying call my internet service provider... and explain to them I have a VOiP using UDP (not sure what that is) and ask if they are receiving a VPN (again not sure what that is) connection. I know I am close here. I am also questioning the integrity of the line in the house as well considering it has crashed several times. I figure run a new direct line from the box on the side of the house straight to a new terminal closer to the computer. That way if there are any slightly corroded junctions, I eliminate that as an issue. I just don't understand why it would knock out my DSL. Even an IT friend I have been talking to says DSL can be finicky.
#18873 by murphy
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:58 am
He meant call ooma support to see if they can determine the status of your hub.

If you are using a scout wired through the wall you can't have the hub to scout HPNA signal on wires that also have a DSL signal. They will wipe each other out. The DSL signal should go direct to the DSL modem and no place else.
#18874 by Aveamantium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:02 am
I'd first call Ooma support 1-888-711-6662 and see if they can help you out. I'd leave all the techy stuff out and just tell them what is going on. If they can't help then yes I'd call your ISP. Again, just leave out the techy stuff and tell them what you're trying to do. However, be discrete when calling your ISP since many will say they don't support VoIP on their networks and will only insure that you have a connection to the internet.

On the side, try testyourvoip.com or http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and see if this works. This will simulate a VoIP call and tell you if there are issues.