Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18733 by jrabbit
Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:43 am
Hello all, new user here, thanks in advance for your time.

Got my Ooma two weeks ago, could not get it to work as described in the manual, after 90 minutes with a script-reading indian I was put on eternal hold. Then I tried connecting modem - router - ooma and click, it worked.

It worked for about 10 days, now all of a sudden each time I receive a call or make a call I get kicked out of my VPN connection. I work from home and need that VPN up...

Any idea what to check? Like I said, it used to work just fine, and suddenly last Friday stopped. No config changes on my side that I am aware of.
#18734 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:51 am
How is your computer connected, directly through the router or do you have it connected to the Ooma hub's home port. If the second way, try connecting it directly to the router.
#18736 by jrabbit
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:04 am
Computer is directly connected to the router. Ooma is connected to the router as well.

DSL modem --> Router --> Computer/Ooma/Printer etc
#18739 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:10 am
Do you have the Ooma on a static IP assigned by the router - and not being used by your computer also?
#18740 by jrabbit
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:14 am
I am not sure... how do I find out?

I can NOT access the Ooma web interface. I believe that one can only be accessed if the Ooma hub is connected directly to the DSL modem, and in that situation I can not get any connectivity.

Thanks for helping! Keep in mind that it worked fine for a period, and then just stopped working.
#18742 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:23 am
jrabbit wrote:I am not sure... how do I find out?

I can NOT access the Ooma web interface. I believe that one can only be accessed if the Ooma hub is connected directly to the DSL modem, and in that situation I can not get any connectivity.

Thanks for helping! Keep in mind that it worked fine for a period, and then just stopped working.

A couple of ways to find out, the best way is to access your router's setup and, depending on what router it is, look at all the connected devices and the IP's assigned.
#18747 by jrabbit
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am
My router is a Buffalo AirStation. It is using a static IP address.

I am not really good with this networking stuff... Where do I find a list of devices? There is a list of pages with, uhm, stuff on them that I am not familiar with.

One thing that I changed last week... I added a printer to my network. Could that perhaps shuffled some ports or assignments leading to the issues I am having now?
#18748 by niknak
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am
One thing that I changed last week... I added a printer to my network. Could that perhaps shuffled some ports or assignments leading to the issues I am having now

yes if using DHCP

From windows xp command prompt type ipconfig /all to find ip address of computer. This command will also show gateway address which is ip address of your router

to access ooma home page you must directly connect a pc to the ooma home port
#18756 by jrabbit
Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm
niknak wrote:
One thing that I changed last week... I added a printer to my network. Could that perhaps shuffled some ports or assignments leading to the issues I am having now

yes if using DHCP

I am using DHCP. What could have happened? I disconnected the printer to test if it would change anything, but it did not.

niknak wrote:From windows xp command prompt type ipconfig /all to find ip address of computer. This command will also show gateway address which is ip address of your router

That is true. However, Groundhound was inquiring about the address of the Ooma hub. I am assuming it is a dynamic IP assigned by the Buffalo router, but I am not sure about it, and whether there is the problem or not.

niknak wrote:to access ooma home page you must directly connect a pc to the ooma home port

I know, but, I can not get to display any webpages in that configuration. Basically, the Ooma does not pass through internet to the PC.

Thanks guys for all the help so far!
#18764 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 pm
To display web pages make sure your virus software is disabled for a test. Some programs interfer with the page display.

Wayne