Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18661 by Bob sullivan
Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 pm
I have Ooma working fine with the following setup using the wireless internet service from Clear: Clear router -> LinkSys wireless router -> Ooma hub.

However, if I try and put the hub in between the modem and router I have no internet connection on my computer. I am wondering if the hub needs non-default settings to accept the signal from the Clear modem. The settings on the LinkSys are: "Automatic Configuration - DHCP".
#18665 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm
Modem>Ooma hub> router
Power off everything and then reboot completely in sequence modem, then hub then router. The default settings on the hub should work for this setup except for one change - you probably need to put the router's IP into the hub's DMZ and set the hub's DHCP range to hand out only that IP to the router - same start and end.
Bob sullivan wrote:I have Ooma working fine with the following setup using the wireless internet service from Clear: Clear router -> LinkSys wireless router -> Ooma hub.

However, if I try and put the hub in between the modem and router I have no internet connection on my computer. I am wondering if the hub needs non-default settings to accept the signal from the Clear modem. The settings on the LinkSys are: "Automatic Configuration - DHCP".
#18675 by Bob sullivan
Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm
Thanks for the info. I will try it. Is there any advantage to that setup? I'm guessing something to do with QoS. Although I've been making calls and using the internet and the call quality seems fine.

Update Sep 4 2009 - I powered off all three, reconnected as Clear Modem -> Ooma Hub - Linksys and then powered them up in succession waiting until each one was fully functioning until powering up the next. It all works fine now. Thanks for the suggestion. I found the quick setup guide does say to power them all off before hooking up but it does not mention turning them back on one at a time.
Last edited by Bob sullivan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#18677 by niknak
Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:27 pm
...Although I've been making calls and using the internet and the call quality seems fine...

As they say -if it ain't broke, don't fix it - especially since you are using wireless internet
#18683 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:15 pm
Bob sullivan wrote:Thanks for the info. I will try it. Is there any advantage to that setup? I'm guessing something to do with QoS. Although I've been making calls and using the internet and the call quality seems fine.

The only advantage to having the hub before the router (using the hub's QoS) is that the hub's QoS only steps in when a call is in progress. If you are using a cable Internet provider that has a much higher initial download/upload speed that then drops off to whatever your provisioned speed is (Powerboost), having conditional QoS can allow you to take advantage of these higher speeds when no call is in progress. If, however, your speeds are consistent then you're better off having the hub after the router and if QoS is needed, let the router handle it.
#18707 by Bob sullivan
Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 am
Groundhound wrote:If, however, your speeds are consistent then you're better off having the hub after the router and if QoS is needed, let the router handle it.

I was not aware I could configure my Linksys router to handle Ooma's QoS needs. How would I do that? Would the Linksys router do the QoS job instead of the hub?
#18708 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:04 am
Bob sullivan wrote:
Groundhound wrote:If, however, your speeds are consistent then you're better off having the hub after the router and if QoS is needed, let the router handle it.

I was not aware I could configure my Linksys router to handle Ooma's QoS needs. How would I do that? Would the Linksys router do the QoS job instead of the hub?

Yes. You need to do a bit of research on the firmware QoS settings for your Linksys router. Everything you need as far as settings are concerned has been discussed here and is available by search. If you have any questions about any particular setting, just post your router's firmware version here and which setting you need help with and there are a number of people who are ready and willing to help.