Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18407 by gene_az
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:07 am
Just purchased ooma (w/Premier free trial) - trying to evaluate before beginning the porting process. New ooma-provided phone number works fine. Now attempting to connect landline using just the hub. Installation setup is cable modem -> hub -> router with landline -> 'wall' and standard phone -> 'phone'.

Problem: Cannot get ooma to answer incoming landline call (verified landline cable is ok). It seemed to work one time after various re-checking, re-connecting and rebooting of modem and hub. When I connected a cordless phone base, the cordless system would not ring upon incoming landline call. Now, cannot get any connection of landline thru the hub.

I have been attempting to reboot hub by removing power for 30 seconds. Also tried power off, then power on while depressing OOMA tab. Diagnostic initially indicates 'no landline' along with 'no network'. Rebooting the modem leads to blue OOMA and no red lights. However, the problem still exists.

Questions: I am not rebooting properly? Should modem be reboot BEFORE/AFTER/BOTH/NEITHER when rebooting hub? Any suggestions for determining/correcting this situation?

Thx. Gene
#18410 by southsound
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:15 am
There are two ways to use the ooma hub - one is as a standalone unit with its own phone number. The other is to integrate the hub with your landline. The change has to be made by ooma's support team after the original configuration, if you desire to change it. Many of us on the forum are using the hub as a standalone service and several also have their bare-bones landline connected to the wall connection of the hub in case power or network goes down to give them easy access to the landline. I still keep mine separate and use different cordless phones for each number.

When configured to integrate with the landline, all incoming calls come from your landline. You need to have ooma configure or "provision" your landline with call forward busy to get the call waiting on your hub when integrated. Outgoing calls are routed by the ooma depending on type. Local calls all go out over your landline. 911 and 800 numbers also use the landline. The ooma line is only used for long distance calls. The disadvantage with the integrated landline is that some of the Premier features don't work, you need to keep an unmeasured landline, and you need to pay for call forward busy. The only disadvantage I see with keeping them separate is that you will need to port your number and have a new one assigned to your landline if you want to keep your old telephone number.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma! You're going to like it here! :cool:
#18412 by dtalwar
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 am
gene_az wrote:
Problem: Cannot get ooma to answer incoming landline call (verified landline cable is ok). It seemed to work one time after various re-checking, re-connecting and rebooting of modem and hub. When I connected a cordless phone base, the cordless system would not ring upon incoming landline call. Now, cannot get any connection of landline thru the hub.

This is how Ooma is designed to work with the landline. In your configuration it is being used as a backup. If you were to powerdown the Hub, you will see it fall back on your landline. In this configuration, a call coming into the landline will not ring on a phone connected to Ooma (unless you have the ability to call forward on your landline to Ooma). If you want Ooma to ring, then you have to "integrate" your landline with Ooma. There are other considerations as well and you will have to call CS to initiate that process, if that is what you really wanted to do. But, it appears from your post that you will probably be porting your number over, so all you have to do is ask for the port and wait until the porting is done.

I have been attempting to reboot hub by removing power for 30 seconds. Also tried power off, then power on while depressing OOMA tab. Diagnostic initially indicates 'no landline' along with 'no network'. Rebooting the modem leads to blue OOMA and no red lights. However, the problem still exists.

Questions: I am not rebooting properly? Should modem be reboot BEFORE/AFTER/BOTH/NEITHER when rebooting hub? Any suggestions for determining/correcting this situation?

Thx. Gene

As explained above, booting is not the problem in this situation.
#18473 by gene_az
Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 pm
Thx for quick and informative replies! I had read bits and pieces re provisioning, etc but thought those were really for long-term, permanent situations. I was just trying for temporary evaluation connection. Now I understand that will not work. Also considered evaluating using call forwarding but our selected number is in another state so all calls would have been long distance.

In any event, I like what I've seen (heard) and now intend to proceed to initiate the porting process. Thx again.

BTW, I am on several other forums (mostly computer software programming) and am impressed with this one. Sure helps a lot when knowledgeable individuals are willing to give of their time to help others - much appreciated!

Gene