Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18379 by uma-ooma-uma
Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:18 am
While waiting for our Callvantage number to be ported to ooma I wanted to test ooma. I thought that I might have to fool with the IP addresses on the ooma and the D-Link DVG-5102S (AT&T) but the DHCP handled it.

Ethernet: (RJ-45)
* Cable modem to D-Link(WAN)
* D-Link(LAN) to ooma(modem)
* ooma(home) to router(internet/WAN)

Telephone: (RJ-12)
* D-Link to surge supressor/splitter
* splitter to fax to handset
* splitter to ooma splitter
* ooma(wall) to ooma splitter
* ooma splitter to wall (existing household telephone wiring)

Callvantage:
* Add new ooma telephone number to Locate Me feature on AT&T
* Enable Locate Me

Calls to ooma number:
* Normal ooma operation
* Phone connected to fax and Callvantage (D-Link) do not ring.

Calls to Callvantage number:
* All phones ring.
* Callvantage handles call BUT you must press "1" to answer the call
* Messages are on the Callvantage system AND ooma records that a message has been left but the recording is actually on Callvantage.

Outgoing fax works fine. I use eFax for incoming faxes (free).
#18394 by tommies
Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 am
uma-ooma-uma wrote:While waiting for our Callvantage number to be ported to ooma I wanted to test ooma. I thought that I might have to fool with the IP addresses on the ooma and the D-Link DVG-5102S (AT&T) but the DHCP handled it.

Ethernet: (RJ-45)
* Cable modem to D-Link(WAN)
* D-Link(LAN) to ooma(modem)
* ooma(home) to router(internet/WAN)<-- is this router different from the D-Link above?

I'm just currious
#18408 by uma-ooma-uma
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:12 am
Yes the D-Link referenced is the AT&T telephone interface device that serves a similar purpose as the ooma. The router referenced is the computer network router. So the data path is Comcast cable to cable modem to CallVantage device (D-Link telephone access device) to ooma to home network router.

By the way, the outgoing calls are handled by ooma for this configuration EXCEPT for the fax and handset connected to the fax which are placed over AT&T.
#18920 by bpsnow
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:20 pm
I am doing the same thing, except I just unplugged the Callvantage unit, and installed Ooma. Then went to the Callvantage site and forwarded all my calls to the temporary Ooma number. It is working just fine, so I will have to order porting soon.
#18923 by uma-ooma-uma
Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:37 pm
Ooma also works fine with the ooma number in Callvantage Locate Me. Think I'll just keep both boxes up with two phone systems till AT&T dumps us.

Ordered porting days ago but no word yet from either AT&T or ooma on cut date.

Good luck!
#19403 by Leeway
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am
I did the same as far as forwarding all Call Vantage calls into to Ooma. It worked just fine and it took a very long time for the porting to complete.

I set my home cordless to 4 rings and the Ooma answering to 6 rings so mine picks up first. The answer portion of Ooma didn't work at all until my porting was complete.

Also, your caller ID will read strange until the porting is complete.

When all of that is final, everything will be 'perfect' with your Ooma setup.