Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17731 by disilluzion
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:26 pm
Greetings,

I have an Actiontec DSL modem/wireless router that allows me to stream media to Xbox 360 and other wireless devices. When I add the Ooma hub to the equation I cannot. My wireless devices can still access the internet; they just cannot see my shared files.

From the Ooma hub I have HOME going to my PC and MODEM going to the modem. My modem only has one ethernet port and I have spare routers lying around but I don't want to add more hardware if I do not have to.

The only thing I have tried (by using the search function) is adding my Ooma IP address to the DMZ address on the Ooma setup page, but that did not work.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
#17733 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm
Ok, it sounds like you have your Modem/Router>Ooma>Computer, correct? The reason you can't see the shared resources is because the computer behind Ooma will be on a different subnet then the Modem/Router. Does your Modem/Router have more than one LAN port? If not, I'd suggest a switch (about $20) so you can do the following Modem/Router>Switch>Computer and Switch>Ooma.
#17739 by disilluzion
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:47 pm
I'm not sure if it's "behind" or "ahead" of the modem because it takes priority over the wired connection to my pc, but obviously will not slow down any wireless connections for QoS.

And there is only one ethernet port. When I first got Ooma I was lazy and had it connected modem > separate router > Ooma hub. But now I moved and want to set it up the way the manual shows. I'm in a rural area and can only get 1.5 Mbps.

Is there any way to change the IP address of the Ooma hub so it is on my network, or is it stuck with the 172.27.x.x? Or is my only option to connect my router, therefore not being able to benefit from QoS?

I really don't need any more wired ports than the one.
#17745 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:54 pm
If you want to use Ooma's Qos then do the following...

Modem>Ooma>Wireless Router?>Computer

Then log into setup.ooma.com and go to the advanced page. Here put in the same IP address in the start and end DHCP fields (eg. 172.27.35.10) and also put this same IP in the DMZ field. Also you'll want to put your actual tested ISP speeds in the upstream and downstream fields of the Qos section.

Now let your wireless router? (assuming it is wireless) do all your LAN functions. In this configuration you'll want your Modem in bridge mode if at all possible or you'll be doing tripple NAT.
#17746 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:00 pm
disilluzion wrote:When I first got Ooma I was lazy and had it connected modem > separate router > Ooma hub. But now I moved and want to set it up the way the manual shows. I'm in a rural area and can only get 1.5 Mbps.

If your router has decent Qos, many (if not most) prefer this setup.
#17760 by murphy
Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 am
Unfortunately he has a combination modem/wireless router. The only solution that will work in that environment is to add a switch to provide more than one LAN port to the modem/wireless router.

Or if the wireless in the modem/wireless router can be turned off, then a standard wireless router could be connected to provide all of the services.
#17762 by disilluzion
Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:49 am
I can disable the wireless on my modem/router, but it works better than my other wireless routers (strength, reliability, etc.), so can I go modem > 2nd router > Ooma and have the 2nd router's wireless disabled or would that cause network conflicts? Is my best bet to go to Best Buy today and get the cheapest switch they have, then go modem > switch > pc/Ooma/whatever else?

Thx
#17765 by murphy
Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 am
The latter is your best bet.