Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#18565 by FrequentFlyer
Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 am
So... no answer on a local number yet. I called ooma support and spoke with "Scott", whose accent sounded like a cross between Southeastern Ohio and Mumbai. I couldn't tell if he was chewing gum or eating during our conversation. The quality of the call was spotty. In any event...

I'm not confident that they'll secure a local number for me.

If that's the case, I'll change my plan with Frontier to a basic, basic plan and use it in conjunction with ooma for outgoing long distance.

That leaves me with a few questions:

• If you leave your land line connected, do I need to use a separate, corded telephone plugged into a jack, or will local calls somehow come through the ooma Hub?
  • What features do I need to tell Frontier that I need on the land line?
  • If, at some point in the future, a local ooma number does become available, can I dump the land line then, and switch completely to ooma??

Thanks again for your help!!
#18709 by FrequentFlyer
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 am
Wow. ooma is making it really difficult for me to not send the system back to Amazon.

The Customer Service folks are NOT knowledgeable, and seem to be following a script.

They can't get me a local number. I need to maintain my landline for the interim, until a local number becomes available.

PLEASE - I need some help:

What features do I need on my landline? I'm going to switch to basic, no long distance plan, but what features do I need? Call Forward on Busy? Call Forwarding???? HELP!

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd deeply appreciate it. The ooma CS staff just start spouting generalizations and are not helpful.

....anyone??
#18710 by atici
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 am
If you really need to keep the landline it's generally advised to keep two phone lines (i.e. separate), one for ooma and one through your local company. There are almost no benefits to the alternative apart from being able to use one physical phone.

The only reason you need a local line I imagine is for the incoming calls. You can have the basic landline for local incoming calls and ooma line for everything (ooma will work over the internet and will not be connected to the landline). This makes things much simpler.

That said, it's your choice.
Last edited by atici on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
#18711 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:50 am
Not using a landline with Ooma, I don't have first hand knowledge, but you may find this article from the Knowledgebase useful if you haven't already seen it: http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/article.asp?article=261419&p=12040

From the article:

Using ooma with a landline
To maximize your savings, we recommend that you call your phone company and cancel your long-distance service and see if there is a lower-cost local calling package. If you plan on using ooma with a landline, we require a flat-rate calling plan. Caller-ID is optional, and all other features are unnecessary.
FrequentFlyer wrote:Wow. ooma is making it really difficult for me to not send the system back to Amazon.

The Customer Service folks are NOT knowledgeable, and seem to be following a script.

They can't get me a local number. I need to maintain my landline for the interim, until a local number becomes available.

PLEASE - I need some help:

What features do I need on my landline? I'm going to switch to basic, no long distance plan, but what features do I need? Call Forward on Busy? Call Forwarding???? HELP!

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd deeply appreciate it. The ooma CS staff just start spouting generalizations and are not helpful.

....anyone??
Last edited by Groundhound on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
#18712 by dtalwar
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:53 am
Well, I started writing a response and then I saw the link that Groundhound has pointed out. It certainly is very comprehensive and explains what the "provisioning" would do if you decide to integrate your landline with Ooma. Hope this helps.
#18720 by FrequentFlyer
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 am
Groundhound,

Thanks. The article was helpful. It leaves me with a (I hope, final) question.

I'll call my local telco and switch to a basic plan. I can get one extra feature for about $5 a month. What if I choose Call Forwarding, and forward all calls to our local/landline number to our ooma number?

In that case, all calls would be routed through the ooma Hub... yes?

But, let's say I do away with Caller ID on the land line -- Will the Caller ID still work on the ooma system?

Thanks!!
#18721 by niknak
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 am
just keep your ooma and landline separate
incoming calls to your landline (the number everyone knows) are free

outgoing calls on the new ooma number are free

for the time being leave things like this
when you are notified that there is a number in your exchange, then you can decide whether to port your number to ooma, or integrate you number with ooma.

if you integrate your landline, you need only the most basic service on the landline plus call forward on busy activated
#18729 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 am
Keeping your landline separate from Ooma would allow you to forward your inbound calls to your Ooma number for VM and to answer/talk. You would not connect your landline to your hub at all in this case. Your landline could be connected to a stand-alone phone and you could use either the landline or Ooma for outbound local calls, but only Ooma for LD calls. The only downside to this is that outbound calls on your Ooma would show your Ooma number for outbound Caller ID, plus you would need to pay for the call forwarding on the landline.