Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17706 by FrequentFlyer
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm
OK, newbie here, first post, so be gentle!

Bought ooma to ditch the land line altogether. Activated Hub yesterday. During process, no local (our town) number available. Either town an hour away (smaller town, BTW) or slightly larger town 45 minutes away. Chose the latter. Ignored land line as my intent is to drop it.

Some have probably guessed where this is heading. Everything - Hub, Scout - works great. BUT: local friends have to dial long distance to call us - from as little as 10 blocks away. She Who Must Be Obeyed not happy.

Called ooma support, sympathetic, but no dice. Confirmed that no local numbers are available.

Called phone company, said there's a basic, basic, no long distance, unlimited local plan available - $17.50 plus taxes. I could use that as our regular phone number, all incoming calls - YES??? - and use ooma for long distance.

Not the $60 per month savings I was planning on. After taxes on cheapie plan, more like $35 per month.

Do I need to have caller ID on my phone plan?

Also, let's assume I go down this path... how on earth do I add the land line, now that I indicated that I wasn't going to use it when I set up the hub?

I assume I have to call Tech Support at ooma and have them walk me through things...

Is there any alternative to this? How often does ooma add phone numbers?

If they DO eventually add numbers for my town, can I at that point ditch the land line and go totally with ooma - and somehow switch the number??

Sorry for all the questions, but need some advice/help. Thanks!!
#17707 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 pm
Have you tried Google Voice? You can sign up for Google Voice and maybe you'll be lucky this time and get a local number.

The service is free and you can forward your google number to any phone, including ooma.

Just a thought.

Wayne
Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum!
#17711 by FrequentFlyer
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:00 pm
@Wayne:

1) Thanks for the welcome!

2) I am a dolt! I have a Google Voice number, and it IS a local number. Let me work on it.... That should work, I think, unless there's some issue with Voice forwarding to a town that's not right nearby.

Embarrassed that that didn't occur to me!

Thanks!
#17714 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:09 pm
According to my reading ooma will be incorporating GV soon, so you may be ahead of the game on this one.

You shouldn't have any problems forwarding the number from google to ooma.

If you really want that local ooma number I'd keep checking and if you finally get one, just add it to GV and no one will know the difference.

Wayne
#17716 by FrequentFlyer
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:23 pm
Aww... I'm screwed. Now that I've revisited GV, I remember that there were no local exchanges available. The nearest town that appears is about 20 miles away, and I just tested it with the regular phone line - it's a long distance call.

Why both GV and ooma don't have any exchanges available for our town is a mystery, as the town is larger than almost all of the other towns which are available. (I checked all the numbers which are available through the $10/Change your Google Voice Number option.)

I fear I'm back to working with a local calls only local phone number and using ooma for our outgoing long distance. sigh. Any other thoughts?
#17718 by niknak
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:34 pm
..Why both GV and ooma don't have any exchanges available for our town is a mystery...

Number availability is based on the ILEC in your ratecenter. If they do not have enough numbers to offer to CLECs, ooma and others will not be able to offer numbers local to that ratecenter
#17724 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm
Well, back to your original post you would have to call Customer Support to change your setup to ooma WITH a landline.
You would have to put "call forwarding on busy" on your landline and make sure you have unlimited local calling.

The downside is that some Premier services do not work with provisioned landlines, blacklisting for one.

Wayne