Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17605 by LMan
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 am
I have been having problem calling out with Ooma. My current DSL line and Phone Line under Qwest opperate under the same number - I called Qwest and verified this. I have connected Ooma as specified Modem->Ooma->Router. I have also connected the Scout downstairs to the phone jack. When I pick up the phone I get an Ooma dial tone but the call never goes through.

Now Qwest also told me that if I port the number the DSL line numbre will be changed by default. However, if I do not port it over I have to add another line to get this to work (which defeats the purpose).

I have contacted Ooma support and gotten no response. Has anyone else with DSL had to deal with this problem. Will it work if I port the number over? I don't want to spend the money and then it does not work.

Thanks.
#17607 by southsound
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 am
The problem is that DSL does not play well with the HPNA signal that is used by the scout. It also is important to make sure you isolate the DSL signal from the landline signal if you have chosen to integrate your existing number (in other words, you did not get a new ooma number).

Are you using your existing landline with the ooma? After you let us know I'll give some tips on using the scout with DSL.

And even though things are not going well yet, welcome to ooma. We'll get you up and running before you know it!
#17608 by LMan
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 am
Yes I did get an Ooma number.
#17609 by LMan
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 am
Yes I am also still using the land line. Don't want to get rid of it until I can make sure Ooma works.

Thanks.
#17616 by southsound
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am
OK, that helps. In your configuration, you will be keeping your ooma number on a different phone or phones than your landline. That is just how I have mine. The important thing is to keep the DSL and HPNA signal used by the hub and scout away from each other. The easiest way to do that is to use separate pairs for each. Your telephone wiring probably has several pairs in the cable. Usually two for older homes and three or more for more modern ones. Take the wall plates off in the rooms where your hub and scout plug in and see what wires are connected. The green/red or white/blue pair are wired to line 1 of the jack. There may also be a black/yellow or white orange pair connected to supply line 2. If they are not connected but still there, that is fine. Just connect them as follows: White/orange to the Black terminal. Orange/white to the Yellow terminal.

Now you need an easy way to connect the hub and scout wall ports to the line 2 wiring. You can pick up a 2-line splitter at Radio Shack, Frys, or any number of other stores. Monoprice.com also has them for a great price. They look something like this:
Another alternative is to purchase wall plates with two phone jacks. Wire the first jack for line 1 This goes to your DSL modem in the room with the hub or regular phones with a microfilter for your landline in other rooms. Wire the second jack for line 2 and use these jacks to connect to the hub and scout wall jacks.

More questions, let us know.