Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17410 by t4feb
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 am
I was ask a question concerning Bell South DSL and ooma. The people have DSL without phone. They live in there camper because of there job status and go home every other week. They were asking me if they could hook up the ooma system in there camper just having the DSL modem. I thought maybe they could but was not 100% sure and I told them I would post it on the forum for the right answer. Any help on this matter? Thanks in advance
#17412 by but2002
Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 am
Yes. DSL/No-Phone is reffered to as Dry-Looped DSL, and it is a common use for other ooma users such as myself (Why pay for a landline when you got a fully functional phone for free?)
#17413 by t4feb
Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:39 am
but2002 wrote:Yes. DSL/No-Phone is reffered to as Dry-Looped DSL, and it is a common use for other ooma users such as myself (Why pay for a landline when you got a fully functional phone for free?)

Thank you I thought so but was not 100% sure. Its better to be safe then sorry. Thanks Again
#17426 by niknak
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:32 am
That will only work if the hub is provisioned to work without a landline.
If they have a phone connected while at home, then no phone in the camper it will not work
#17429 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 am
Make sure they unplug the phone line before they drive off anywhere! :-)

Wayne
#17433 by t4feb
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 am
niknak wrote:That will only work if the hub is provisioned to work without a landline.
If they have a phone connected while at home, then no phone in the camper it will not work

They live in the camper while here on there work site and only had DSL Internet line run to the camper. So they can not integrate with a land line because they don't have one in the camper they use there cell phones in which case runs them more money then they care to spend I guess. Anyway thanks for the info as I will let them know.
#17434 by t4feb
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:59 am
WayneDsr wrote:Make sure they unplug the phone line before they drive off anywhere! :-)

Wayne

Thanks Wayne that's another thing I will have to tell them. LOL
#17437 by niknak
Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 am
right,

what I am saying is that if the ooma at home is set up to work with a landline, then it will not work in the camper if there is no landline.

as long as they don't use a landline phone at home with the ooma, then they can use the hub in either location with no problem