Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17277 by daniellehall
Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 pm
Trying to figure out how this all works. Any help greatly appreciated!!

I just had 2 phone numbers ported successfully. One for my home office and one for personal.

1) Most important! Can I have 2 different voicemails? One for personal and one for my office? right now both numbers are answered by the same voicemail. I need to fix this fast for work!

2) Is it better to have 2 phones with bases, one for the office and one for personal? One hooked up to the hub and one to the scout? Or will both phone numbers ring through to all phones? Can they be set to ring independently?

3) To eliminate having to have two phones with bases, can both numbers ring through to the same phone giving a distinct ring for each number and a disitint voicemail answering for each number?

In my old setup, we had 2 lines. One for personal and one for work. I also had 2 seperate sets of phones. Wouldn't mind consolidating down to one phone set or a two line phone either.

4) I would prefer to not have the hub and phone sitting on my desk for space reasons. And would like them to be across the room. Is it possible to get an ethernet cable long enough to have my husband run it through the wall?

Thanks in advanced!!
Danielle
#17280 by murphy
Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 am
1) Yes. Configure your scout as a private device and assign your second number to it. It will then be an independent phone number with it's own login to the Lounge.

2) Once you do 1) they will be independent.

3) Get a two line phone system. Either cordless or desktop or both. Connect the hub's phone jack to line 1 and the scout's phone jack to line 2.

4) LAN cables can be far longer than would be necessary to connect any two locations in a residence.
#17312 by southsound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 am
murphy wrote:4) LAN cables can be far longer than would be necessary to connect any two locations in a residence.

A great sorce for Ethernet cables is Monoprice.com. They sell very good quality cables at a fraction of what you would pay from Radio Shack or any other retailer. I use their network cables throughout the house and also use their Toslink, HDMI, and Component Video cables in our theater and great room. I've never had a problem with the cables - and the one time I had a problem with a Toslink splitter they told me to toss it and gave me a full credit immediately. :cool:
#17331 by daniellehall
Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 am
murphy wrote:1) Yes. Configure your scout as a private device and assign your second number to it. It will then be an independent phone number with it's own login to the Lounge.

Is it possible to do it the other way around? My hub as the office line and scout for home line? I would prefer to use the scout in the kitchen because of its smaller size. And I occasionally send a fax for work, and I need it to be the office number and fax machines can only hook up to the hub.

Thanks!
#17336 by murphy
Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am
Yes, you may have to call customer support to swap the numbers because the number that was first assigned to the hub is not assignable to a scout.
#17345 by daniellehall
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 am
1st I went into the lounge 'assign a device' hub as 'Office Hub' and assigned it the office #.

2nd I went to 'assign device' from the same lounge. Assigned the scout as 'Home Line'.

Now I have 3 things 'shared devices', 'Office Hub' and 'Home Line'.

But my original # is still up with 'shared devices' when I tried to assign it to the scout I got this:
"The number you've selected is the primary phone number for a personal device. If you move the phone number to another device, you will lose all voicemail associated with this phone number. "

I left it alone for now.

Then I went and picked up the now "Office Hub" phone and it had me setup a new viocemail, which I also added a new lounge login for. Then I picked up the phone hooked up to the scout and it had my original personal voicemail.

Seems to maybe have done the trick without assigning the original # to the scout. I can call each # from my cell and the correct phones ring and voicemail picks up for each.

Do you think that this is okay?
#17346 by murphy
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am
If it's working the way that you want, then yes it is a successful solution.
#17347 by daniellehall
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:55 am
southsound wrote:
murphy wrote:4) LAN cables can be far longer than would be necessary to connect any two locations in a residence.

A great sorce for Ethernet cables is Monoprice.com. They sell very good quality cables at a fraction of what you would pay from Radio Shack or any other retailer. I use their network cables throughout the house and also use their Toslink, HDMI, and Component Video cables in our theater and great room. I've never had a problem with the cables - and the one time I had a problem with a Toslink splitter they told me to toss it and gave me a full credit immediately. :cool:

Thank you for this! The prices are great.

But may have solved this problem. My husband is an electrician and he said he had already run cat 5 through the walls for the phone to replace all the old stuff. That now he will run cat5 (in the walls) from the desk area to where I want the hub and phone on the other side of the room.

SO I am guessing I would have 2 wires: one from router to hub and one from modem to hub. He has all the cat5 wire, plug things and jacks.

Does this sound correct?
#17350 by murphy
Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm
Yes, that will take care of it.