Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#17899 by Groundhound
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm
dldugan wrote:OK, I disconnected the outside wiring and pluged the hub phone port into the wall. Have dial tone throughout house. However, I am now setting up the Scout and there is a problem with the Scout when connected to the house wiring. The tab and lower line of "keys" stay red.

Are your hub & scout's Wall Ports both connected to the house wiring?
#17904 by dldugan
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 pm
No, the wall port of the hub is open and the phone port is connected to the house wiring to feed all phone outlets. The Scout acts the same either way, i.e., with the wall connected to the phone and the phone connected to the wall or vice versa. Tried it both ways.
#17908 by Groundhound
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:34 pm
You'll need to use splitters if you want to feed dial tone from the hub's phone port and HPNA from the hub's wall port over your house wiring. HPNA is how the hub and scout talk to each other via their wall ports.
#17976 by dldugan
Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:14 pm
Thanks, that almost did the trick. Using a two way splitter with both the Wall and Phone ports from the hub connected all house wiring is fed and the Scout works. However, I also need that outlet to connect the phone. Tried a multi port splitter adding the phone, but this degrades the HPNA too much and the Scout has a lot of static.

I'll try to find a higher quality splitter, or directly wire.
#17980 by Groundhound
Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:17 pm
dldugan wrote:Thanks, that almost did the trick. Using a two way splitter with both the Wall and Phone ports from the hub connected all house wiring is fed and the Scout works. However, I also need that outlet to connect the phone. Tried a multi port splitter adding the phone, but this degrades the HPNA too much and the Scout has a lot of static.

I'll try to find a higher quality splitter, or directly wire.

You'll likely need to use an unused wire pair in your house wiring. Most homes are prewired for at least two lines. If you have a second unused pair, you can use an "L1, L2, L1+2" splitter at both ends to isolate the wall port to wall port connection.
#19078 by tjnamtiw
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:17 am
but2002 wrote:The scout is not required to feed a standard dialtone to the rest of the house.

Connect the "PHONE" port of the ooma hub into the wall jack nearest to it. Make sure your landline is disconnected from the street outside at the telco box. (It could still have residual voltage from landline service before interfering with ooma) then try to access the ooma dialtone from any other telephone in the house.

Assuming you don't have DSL.....

If you DO have DSL, then your best bet is to use cordless phones with multiple handsets. Run the DSL line to the router as usual but put a splitter in that line so you can run the WALL line from the Ooma hub to it and, hence, back into the wall. DON'T use the DSL/phone splitter that came with DSL. Plug a cordless phone into the PHONE outlet on the ooma hub.
Then where you want the scout, plug in it's WALL connection into the outlet and your second cordless phone into the scout.
If you still have a landline and want it to work, USE one of the DSL/phone jacks provided by your phone company and plug your landline phone into the PHONE side. If you want your landline at the same jack as the Scout, plug the Scout into the DSL side of the splitter and your phone into the PHONE side of the splitter.