Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16981 by dldugan
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am
I have connected the OOMA to the house wiring. Landline service is dead, i.e., no dial tone on line.

It was my undestanding that other phones would ring. My wireless set is OK, but other handsets are not working. No dial tone and no ring. I can tell that the line is not dead.

Is a Scout required?
#16982 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:01 am
You need to connect the PHONE (not WALL) port of the ooma hub to your house wiring.

That should feed the whole house with dial tone.

Wayne
#16987 by dldugan
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:57 am
Didn't work well. Got dial tone, but no ring and then went to busy. Looks like I will need another scout or 2, or additional wireless devices. Copied the following in from the OOMA manual where it says I will need a Scout for every device.

Does anyone have a hack?

What You Need from ooma

Every installation will include one ooma Hub™ device, the main ooma unit which supports one phone. To extend your ooma service to other phones in the house, install an ooma Scout™ device on each additional home phone that you want to use with your ooma service. These smaller ooma devices act as satellites, connecting to the ooma Hub through your home phone wiring, and drawing upon its power and functionality.
The ooma Hub supports up to four ooma Scout devices. If you have a phone which cannot be connected to an ooma Hub or ooma Scout, it must be disconnected and set aside. Additional ooma Scout devices can be purchased on the ooma website.
#16990 by but2002
Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:05 am
The scout is not required to feed a standard dialtone to the rest of the house.

Connect the "PHONE" port of the ooma hub into the wall jack nearest to it. Make sure your landline is disconnected from the street outside at the telco box. (It could still have residual voltage from landline service before interfering with ooma) then try to access the ooma dialtone from any other telephone in the house.
#17276 by daniellehall
Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm
but2002 wrote:The scout is not required to feed a standard dialtone to the rest of the house.

Connect the "PHONE" port of the ooma hub into the wall jack nearest to it. Make sure your landline is disconnected from the street outside at the telco box. (It could still have residual voltage from landline service before interfering with ooma) then try to access the ooma dialtone from any other telephone in the house.

So this is the opposite of what the manual tells you? Correct? The manula tells you to go from the "phone jack' to the 'wall' plug and from the 'phone' plug to the phone its self.

So you are saying if I switch it and put the 'phone' back to the 'phone jack' like a traditional phone it will power the other phone jacks without a scout?

So where does the 'wall' plug go?

I do have a scout too, which I plan to setup since I have 2 ported phone numbers. One for a home office.
#17281 by murphy
Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 am
Set the scout on the table beside the hub. Connect the wall jack of the scout to the wall jack of the hub. Connect the hub's phone jack to line 1 in your house wiring. Connect the scout's phone jack to line 2 in your house wiring.
Make sure that your house wiring for both lines has been disconnected from the old phone company's Network Interface Box.
#17285 by thbjr
Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:19 am
To try to expand a little on what Murphy said...
your question,

The 'wall' plug is to connect the Hub to the Scout. You could plug a phone (#1) directly into the hub phone port and then connect from the 'wall' port on the hub to a wall jack. That will enable you to connect the Scout to any jack in the house, say like a bedroom. Now that the Hub and Scout are connected by the house wiring to the wall ports, you plug a second phone (#2) directly into the phone port on the scout.

But as Murphy said, if you want all the jacks in your house to be ready for a phone, then you need to connect the phone port to the wall jack. That will allow you to plug a phone into any jack and get service. As for line 1 & 2 he mentioned, most homes have 4 wires connected to eack jack. Only 2 wires are needed for service, leaving the 2nd pair available for the 2nd line.
Hope that helps.
Tom
#17362 by bw1
Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:59 pm
daniellehall wrote:
but2002 wrote:The scout is not required to feed a standard dialtone to the rest of the house.

So this is the opposite of what the manual tells you? Correct? The manula tells you to go from the "phone jack' to the 'wall' plug and from the 'phone' plug to the phone its self.

So you are saying if I switch it and put the 'phone' back to the 'phone jack' like a traditional phone it will power the other phone jacks without a scout?

I do have a scout too, which I plan to setup since I have 2 ported phone numbers. One for a home office.

The manual tells the officially supported way to hook up additional phones - using the wall port on the hub to 1 or more scouts which are then each connected to a phone. The hub and scouts communicate using HPNA through your home wiring and allow all the functionality for each phone including access to voicemail and instant 2nd line.

What's been described by others here is an unofficial method of getting dial tone to your phones without using scout(s). It works well and many of us do this method.

There are lots of ways to configure the Ooma to work with multiple phones and multiple lines and with or without scouts. Keep reading topics here or explain what you want to do and ask how to do it and many here will help you out.
#17897 by dldugan
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:13 pm
OK, I disconnected the outside wiring and pluged the hub phone port into the wall. Have dial tone throughout house. However, I am now setting up the Scout and there is a problem with the Scout when connected to the house wiring. The tab and lower line of "keys" stay red.