Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16788 by colorkid
Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm
I have two landlines now. I want to have my hub power my line 1 jacks throughout the house (I will be discontinuing my primary landline service which is now no line 1) and I also want to have a Scout in a different room. I am also wired with an active landline on line 2, which I want to keep. Can I simply connect the phone connection on the hub to the line 2 jack that will still have an active landline to support the scout and then just connect the wall out from the hub to line 1 to power all the other line 1 jacks in the house? I do not have premier service.
#16806 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:24 am
Yes, you can do what you want. The real caveat is if you have DSL. Using your Scout does not require Premier service. The only reason you'd care about the Scout and Premier is if you wanted a second line of Ooma.

The Scout and Hub uses a protocol called HPNA which does not conflict with a regular telephone line, but does conflict with DSL.

The only thing you might have wrong in your post is that you will want to connect things in the following manner:
Hub Wall Port = line 2
Hub Phone port = line 1
Scout Wall Port = line 2
Scout Phone Port = phone or unused

Cheers,
Scott
#16807 by colorkid
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:56 am
Thank you. I do not have DSL and will try this. Two quick follow on questions: 1. I hope and assume that my regular landline 2 will not ring the phone connected to the scout in this configuration, right? 2. Will I have access to the landline 2 911 service from all of the OOMA phones connected to line 1 jacks in the house, as well as the phone connected to the scout? Can't wait to get this working. The OOMA sound quality is actually better than may current Qwest landline.
#16808 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:02 am
colorkid wrote:1. I hope and assume that my regular landline 2 will not ring the phone connected to the scout in this configuration, right?

Not unless you specifically configured it this way when you did the initial setup. I do think if you loose power or Ooma service your phone connected to the Scout will revert to your QWest on line 2. Not a bad thing. One thing to consider though, without Premier service there is little reason to plug a phone directly into the Scout since you are putting your Hub's Phone port on line 1 throughout the house. You could just plug your phone directly into Line 1. Of course, then you'd loose the fail over to line 2 if Ooma service goes down.

colorkid wrote:2. Will I have access to the landline 2 911 service from all of the OOMA phones connected to line 1 jacks in the house, as well as the phone connected to the scout? Can't wait to get this working. The OOMA sound quality is actually better than may current Qwest landline.

I've never understood how 911 services work if you haven't integrated a landline. Someone else will have to answer that. Sorry.

I noticed the same thing about Ooma sounding better than QWest. I have some theories, but that doesn't matter. One note on sound quality, some of us have noted a staticy/scratchy sound when using a phone connected to the Scout. It isn't bad and most people might not even notice it. My wife doesn't. I have but it is intermittent. According to Ooma tech support the only thing they can conclude is it's some sort of interference.

Let me know if something I've said doesn't make any sense. I understand this so clearly now that I sometimes don't express important details to new users.

Welcome to Ooma!

Scott
#16809 by colorkid
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:31 am
Well, I want the scout in my kitchen so that I have an "answering machine" there and I'd like a landline 911 failover feature, so this seems like the only way to do it. Thanks.
#16890 by colorkid
Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:30 pm
Well, I configured it as described and disconnected my incoming line to the house on line 1. Works just great. What a wonderfully designed system. It would be nice if an official manual of more advanced wiring configurations were posted. I can see how you may not want to put that in the original box so as not to intimidate people, but it would be good to have on the web site and it seems like it would answer a lot of the questions that pop up on the forum.
#16895 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:24 pm
Yes, it is designed very well. I'm glad it all worked the first time.

Sometimes there is something else going on in the home that makes it not so simple. Such as satellite TV systems that call home, alarm systems, or line 2 isn't connected throughout the home.

I'm so glad it worked so easily and the first time. I haven't had that sort of luck helping someone out in a long time.

Scott