Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16786 by Lakeo
Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm
So, do you use your GV number as your main phone number?

Part of what I'm trying to do is figure out is the best way to deal with the multiple numbers I have. A land line number, two ooma numbers (one is for my second residence), a cell phone number, and a GV number.

Since I'm so protective of my land line number, and it is the number most of my contacts have, for now I'll set it up to forward to the other numbers as needed, depending on where I am.

Although I'm not big fan of Google for privacy reasons, If at some time GV allows porting, moving my land line number to GV, and keeping a basic land line service for the alarm system, might be the ultimate answer. I think, however, it will take a few years to see how GV plays out. GV could force some interesting changes in the phone services offered by cell and cable companies.
#16787 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:38 pm
I felt the same way about my landline, having it for 25 years. I got a new number from ooma and planned on porting the old land line number over eventually. After 9 months with ooma, no one uses my land line phone number anymore, except telemarketers. When the day comes to decide, I may just get rid of the old land line number.
One thing you might consider; do you want to be in the phonebook?
If so, you need to keep your landline. Once you port your number to ooma you will no longer be in the whitepages.

Yes, ooma and Google Voice will eventually make a difference in telco rethinking in the future. Can't wait.

Wayne
#16791 by southsound
Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 pm
Lakeo wrote:So, do you use your GV number as your main phone number?

Part of what I'm trying to do is figure out is the best way to deal with the multiple numbers I have. A land line number, two ooma numbers (one is for my second residence), a cell phone number, and a GV number.

Yes, our GV number is our main number and it has worked out quite well. Like others, I was concerned with the hassle of moving away from our old landline number when we got our ooma system. Since it was financially better for us to keep the landline to achieve better DSL pricing, we were using ooma for a second line and long distance calling only. But even with us keeping the landline number, a person had to know both our cell and home numbers if they were to be certain to reach us.

The GV number gives our callers a way to reach us by calling just one number - no matter where we are. It also simplifies our ability to manage outages. Recently a squirrel chewed through the fiber cable that serves the voice portion of our landline. The DSL still worked but they gave us an estimate of 5 days for the fiber cable repair. I just switched GV's forwarding to my ooma number and callers didn't even know their calls were being rerouted.

To make the change to a single GV number I first chose a number that I knew was easy to remember. If you are unhappy with your existing GV number, they will let you change it for a $10 fee. Then I had new cards printed and asked many of our professional contacts and associates put our GV number into their databases. I also changed the message on my landline to "If you have reached this recording you may not have our new number, 360 545-xxyy. Please make a note of the new number and you may try reaching us on it right away."

I will be excited when I am able to do even a further integration using Premier Extensions for Google Voice. In fact, it will be the thing that pushes me off the fence and causes me to sign up for Premier. Of course, YMMV :cool:
#16847 by RN09
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 am
WayneDsr wrote:I agree with Southsound. I also have a separate landline, just as you do. The phone company made me a good deal and for now it's a keeper for backup. Keep in mind, if you do have the WALL port on the ooma hub connected to your wall jack, if the ooma connection goes down, your landline will take over on the hub. Give it a test. Unplug the power from the ooma hub. When it goes red you should now hear a regular dial tone on the phone plugged into the ooma hub.

I too am utilizing Google Voice and can't wait to include ooma.

Wayne

This question will be off topic abit.

WayneDsr, do you mind if I ask how much you pay for minimum service for your landline and which Teco?

I have Verizon and just called them two days ago to switched to minimum service. Before was:

$19.91 - resident line
$6.50 - interstate subscriber line change (I don't know what it is but no matter what service I chose, can't get rid of it)
With tax total was $40

Now:

$11.80 - resident line
$6.50 - interstate subscriber line change
With tax total is $20

With this new service, I will be charged for outbound calls, not inbounds though. And it's fine because what ooma and cell phones for.
#16850 by Lakeo
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:17 am
Thanks Wayne, southsound.

I'm sure the biggest hassle about changing our phone number would come from my wife. :-)

I have been doing with forwarding from my local number to my cell or secondary residence number, or multiring from ooma, basically what southsound is doing with GV.

That will work for now and still allow me to keep basic land line service to deal with the alarm system, keep local 911, and have a phone that works when the power is out.

I'll wait to see what the ooma/GV arrangement is before making additional changes to my setup.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Lakeo
#16852 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 am
AT&T

Unlimited Residence Service - $18.04 after that nasty service charge.

adding another 7 or so service and tax charges it comes to $21

Plus my dsl.

Now if I cancel my phone and go to dryloop dsl, my dsl goes up $10 plus ugly taxes and ends up appr. the same amount.

Wayne
#16855 by Lakeo
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:31 am
RN09

A data point. In QWEST territory in Oregon the cheapest rate (excluding Life Line service) is about $30 a month, of which $12 is taxes. That gives you unlimited incoming and outgoing calls in about a 20 mile radius. Call forwarding which I need with my current setup is an additional $3.75.

You can't get rid of the $6.50 charge, and in Oregon another $5.50 in taxes.

Since the cable companies don't pay any of the taxes put on the traditional phone companies, the Fed, State, and Local taxes will help put the phone companies out of the land line business.
#16859 by RN09
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:40 am
Thanks Wayne.

$18.04 for unlimited resident. Mine was $19.91 was basic resident, only free local calls :(

Before it was $40 after tax for basic phone servive and $20 for DSL (Total $60).

I was thinking to go dry loop dsl (price goes up $10 more for same plan) but decided to keep the landline for now. In total, I pay $20 less compared to before.

$20 after tax for phone and $20 for dsl

Thanks Lakeo for info
#16864 by southsound
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 am
Lakeo wrote:Thanks Wayne, southsound.

I'm sure the biggest hassle about changing our phone number would come from my wife. :-)

I have been doing with forwarding from my local number to my cell or secondary residence number, or multiring from ooma, basically what southsound is doing with GV.

I'll wait to see what the ooma/GV arrangement is before making additional changes to my setup.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Lakeo

I still think GV might add something here. Since you (like many of us) will continue to use your landline and call forwarding is not that expensive, why not forward your landline to GV and then you will have greater flexibility as you go between properties. I'm not sure your wife would mind since you get more control using call presentation. If a call comes in you get to choose if you answer it or send it to voicemail based on who is calling. You also get to set certain callers to get voicemail only or ring at specific times or locations. All while using your existing landline number through call forwarding.
#16874 by Lakeo
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:17 am
Good points.

Frankly my knowledge of all the attributes of GV is limited. I'll do some more research on what all I can do with GV and then figure out what will work best. I suspect this will be "work in progress."