Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#878 by kregd
Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:49 pm
I have a somewhat complex network

Modem > Ooma Hub > Dlink EBR-2310 Router > Cisco SR2015 16 Switch

I use Comcast Cable for internet and Windows Home Server for DHCP

I'm ok in keeping the Ooma in front of the firewall, but I want to set DMZ to pass everything onto my router. My IP pool starts at 192.168.100.1 where as DHCP handles leases from x.100 to x.150

I cannot simply set Ooma's DMZ to my routers' IP which is 192.168.100.10 as it is outside of its' subnet.

My problem that everytime I change the home network address and the DHCP pool respectively, I loose Ooma and internet. Ooma is blue and will accept/receive calls. However, my router will not authenticate. I have no problems when using the default ip of 172.27.35.1

I know that simply setting Oomas DMZ to 172.27.35.1 and changing the router to that address would fix that, but screws up all the static IP address I've already setup.

Tell me its' something silly...
#879 by trim81
Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 am
Look at this thread for your answer, I stated how I had my router setup with DMZ:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206

On your Router, you MUST set it to static IP (reflecting the Ooma's DMZ IP)


Leave the OOma at DEFAULT, do not change anything for the IP settings.

1) On the Ooma, set the appropiate ISP credentials (no need to change anything if you have DHCP from your ISP...place PPOE if you need to.

2) On the Ooma, place 172.35.27.10 to DMZ, and on your Wireless Router, make it become a STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10

3) On the Ooma, set the appropiate QOS settings. Save

4) On your ROUTER, set it to STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10 (and DNS...I use OpenDNS), so user 208.67.222.222 DNS1, 208.67.220.220 DNS2. Save

** What this essentially does is, your ooma will go before your router, and the OOma will be your core QOS. And the 172.35.27.10 address will be DMZed and ALL ports will flow freely to your router.

With this setup, you use your router as normal. No need to change any settings on your LAN.
#883 by kregd
Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 pm
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The problem with this is that the routers' new IP and will cause my lease pool to be outside of the subnet
#884 by trim81
Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:22 pm
kregd wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The problem with this is that the routers' new IP and will cause my lease pool to be outside of the subnet



I dont follow your question/response.

For your setup, your router is controlling your LAN correct?

Ooma's DMZ will forward the WAN port to your router, your router will control the subnets 225.255.255.0 (or whatevr) via DHCP to your LAN

Do as I said above and your golden.
#1076 by Joel Carlton
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm
trim81 wrote:Leave the OOma at DEFAULT, do not change anything for the IP settings.

1) On the Ooma, set the appropiate ISP credentials (no need to change anything if you have DHCP from your ISP...place PPOE if you need to.

2) On the Ooma, place 172.35.27.10 to DMZ, and on your Wireless Router, make it become a STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10

3) On the Ooma, set the appropiate QOS settings. Save

4) On your ROUTER, set it to STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10 (and DNS...I use OpenDNS), so user 208.67.222.222 DNS1, 208.67.220.220 DNS2. Save

** What this essentially does is, your ooma will go before your router, and the OOma will be your core QOS. And the 172.35.27.10 address will be DMZed and ALL ports will flow freely to your router.

With this setup, you use your router as normal. No need to change any settings on your LAN.



I tried this but I am still unable to receive any incoming connections.

Charter 10Mbit Down 1.5Mbit up
Setup: Modem > OOMA > Linksys > Apple Extreame > Apple Express

ooma is 172.27.35.1
ooma dmz is 172.27.35.2
Linksys b/g 10/100 static ip is 172.27.35.2
Linksys internal ip is 10.0.2.1
Linksys dmz is 10.0.2.4
Apple Extreme n gigabit ip is 10.0.2.2 and is in bridge mode
Apple Express n gigabit ip is 10.0.2.3 and is in bridge mode
Server is 10.0.2.4
Server is running ports 80, 22, and 5900

In the current setup:
- b,g, and n wireless users can connect.
- 10, 100, and 1000 (gigabit) users can connect
- ALL users can equally back up to network drives, stream audio, etc from any connection.
- Internet works for everyone.

Up till the ooma was installed I could connect to the server from outside the network and ssh, vnc, load web files etc.

If I hook up Modem > Linksys > ooma and apple extreme everything works and I am able to connect into the network to the server but the setup.ooma.com does not work. With this current setup I can do everything I use to but cant have the ooma control the quality.

If I put the ooma back into place right behind the modem No incoming connections. This is a problem sense I am going away and need to get into the server.

One additional note. if the linksys is set to dhcp setup.ooma.com goes to the ooma page. If i turn the linksys to static and use the same ip and custom dns (open dns) setup.ooma.com no longer works and goes to the default open dns search page.

Please help me get this device working properly. I do not want a second isp to simply run a phone.
#2289 by AngelaKendig
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 pm
Joel Carlton wrote:No, and no one has offered any help either.

Others as well as myself have covered this extensively in other threads. Do a little searching for terms like webserver, DMZ, etc. I had to reboot the hub and router a few times to get online. The details above are spot on however I like to configure the hub DHCP pool with just one IP so start and end IP are xxx.xxx.xxx.10, same as the DMZ.
#2290 by AngelaKendig
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 pm
Joel Carlton wrote:Up till the ooma was installed I could connect to the server from outside the network and ssh, vnc, load web files etc.

Connecting to the server takes you to Ooma hub setup right. That's because your trying to access it from within your LAN. From within your LAN you must access the server via static IP. From the outside world, access will remain the same as it was before Ooma.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests