Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16440 by tcla321
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:22 pm
Situation: Ooma Hub works fine. Can not get Scout to connect as it has all 4 buttons on bottom row with red lights.

Background Info: AT&T ,former Bellsouth, landline with DSL on same line.
Cat5E wiring from NIB to Leviton 1x9 bridge in attic. Note that 2 pair; WhiteBlue/Blue and WhiteGreen/Green; are connected in the NIB.

Cat5E wiring with 2 pair(WhiteBlue/Blue and WhiteGreen/Green) from bridge to Modem, Ooma Hub & router connection. Ooma Hub works fine.

Older "Quad" wire (Red/Green/Yellow/Black) is run to all other other phone outlets in the house. At the Leviton bridge, the connections are:
Quad Cat5E
Red Blue
Green White/Blue
Yellow Green
Black White/Green

The phone jacks use the Red/Green wires. And the phones work work fine over the landline with the DSL line filters. But the Scout will not connect and I have insured that I have the proper set up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom
#16442 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:55 pm
wall jack of scout must connect to wall jack of hub either directly using a patch cable or through the wall jacks as long as the wiring in the wall has continuity
#16447 by backforty
Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:14 pm
wow. I had the same thing with my scout.

Just had number ported confirmed by ooma.

Disconnect AT&T from house and rebooted ooma hub.

Connected "Phone" jack of ooma hub (located in basement) to house system and got ooma dial tone on all phones in house... YA! ... but the one phone connected to my scout was reading all red on the four bottom buttons and no dial tone. (@#!%*##)

As "niknak" suggested in his reply, I took another lead from my house system in the basement and connected it to the "wall" jack on the hub. PROBLEM SOLVED

Everything works GREAT! Thanks to this forum for all your help!!!
#16461 by jp28md
Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:10 am
So can you connect a direct line from the hub WALL port to the scout WALL port and the scout will work?
#16485 by hpepper
Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 am
That is how I have had mine set up from the begginning. I don't currently have Premier, but my main hub is set up in the basement next to my broadband modem and networking gear. I then have a single line between the hub and Scout to my kitchen, where I use the Scout as an answering machine.

My wife likes the smaller Scout compared to having the hub in the kitchen.
#16488 by jp28md
Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:02 am
hpepper wrote:That is how I have had mine set up from the begginning. I don't currently have Premier, but my main hub is set up in the basement next to my broadband modem and networking gear. I then have a single line between the hub and Scout to my kitchen, where I use the Scout as an answering machine.

My wife likes the smaller Scout compared to having the hub in the kitchen.

Do you then have a Phone plugged into the Phone port on the scout?
#16493 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:08 am
I have my Scout sitting next to the hub on my desk. It gives me access to use both lines. Hub is connected to the Scout vial WALL ports on each. I have a cordless phone set attached to the hub and a regular phone plugged into the scout.

Wayne
#16496 by southsound
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am
tcla321 wrote:Situation: Ooma Hub works fine. Can not get Scout to connect as it has all 4 buttons on bottom row with red lights.

Background Info: AT&T ,former Bellsouth, landline with DSL on same line.
Cat5E wiring from NIB to Leviton 1x9 bridge in attic. Note that 2 pair; WhiteBlue/Blue and WhiteGreen/Green; are connected in the NIB.

Cat5E wiring with 2 pair(WhiteBlue/Blue and WhiteGreen/Green) from bridge to Modem, Ooma Hub & router connection. Ooma Hub works fine.

Older "Quad" wire (Red/Green/Yellow/Black) is run to all other other phone outlets in the house. At the Leviton bridge, the connections are:
Quad Cat5E
Red Blue
Green White/Blue
Yellow Green
Black White/Green

The phone jacks use the Red/Green wires. And the phones work work fine over the landline with the DSL line filters. But the Scout will not connect and I have insured that I have the proper set up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

First off, welcome to ooma and sorry that your thread seems to have not yet addressed your questions.

The scout and hub communicate using HPNA - a networking protocol that does not play very well with DSL. It also is not as good using quad as it is with UTP like your cat 5E wiring. But even before we talk about options, let's make sure the hub and scout can communicate. Place the scout near the hub and connect the wall ports of both with a short cable. Does the scout work in this situation? If so, then there are some choices. If you want to use a second ooma line and your reason for using the scout is to access that line, you can do as WayneDSR does and keep them together, using the phone connection of the scout to feed the second pair in your quad or cat 5E. If you want to move the scout to another area as hpepper has done, you can use that second pair to feed the scout.

Are you keeping your landline? If so did you choose to integrate your landline with the ooma system? If so, then there are some additional considerations. Please post back with the results of your scout test and give us an idea of how you are configured (landline integration) and what you would like to accomplish with the scout.
#16535 by tcla321
Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm
I used a splitter in the wall plug of the Hub and connect the Scout to the Hub into one port of the splitter. I connected the other port of the splitter in the Hub to the phone/DSL line. The Hub and Scout worked great.

I want to place the Scout in another room and have it successfully work.

When I get this to work I would like to drop my land line and just continue with DSL & Ooma. This seems like a fairly common setup in a lot of homes. What is the difficulty you referred to when you said that "scout and hub communicate using HPNA - a networking protocol that does not play very well with DSL"?

Thanks,
Tom
#16537 by niknak
Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm
...What is the difficulty you referred to when you said that "scout and hub communicate using HPNA - a networking protocol that does not play very well with DSL"?...

HPNA is a signalling protocol that the hub and scout use to communicate with each other

DSL is also communicating through the phone wires to the modem, hub, router, etc.

The two signals will interfere with each other if they were to be active on the same wire pair.

The trick is to separate them and use an isolated wire pair to connect hub and scout