Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16119 by sdhruva
Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 pm
Hello,

I have successfully installed Ooma Hub. I wanted to use Scout with my my wall jacks, but I am unsuccessful so far.

My house is only three years old and I ALWAYS used VOIP for phone service i.e. I NEVER had service from conventional phone service provider like AT&T or South Bell etc. Also, I do NOT have second phone number from Ooma.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) Connected one end of phone cord to Wall on Ooma Hub, connected other end to Scout Wall - phone works (get Ooma dialtone) when I connect to phone on Scout.
2) Connected one end of phone cord to Wall on Ooma Hub, connected other end to home wall jack, then connect another phone cord between another wall jack in home and Wall on Scout. This does not work. I see 3 red lights on Scout that suggests that "Wall connection is not good".

I suppose I don't need second phone number from Ooma for Scout to work.

What am I missing? What could be wrong? How do I find root of the problem?

Thanks for your help!
#16120 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:11 pm
First of all make sure all your wall outlets are wired for line one.

If you have other wall outlets, try the scout on those.

If you are sure they are wired for line one,power cycle both the hub and the scout.

Wayne
#16121 by murphy
Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:15 pm
Two possibilities come to mind.

Do you have DSL service? The DSL signal is not compatible with the signal the hub and scout use to communicate.

A modern home should be home run wired to a common point. The two phone jacks that you are using are not connected together at the common point.
#16183 by WayneDsr
Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 am
Did you get it fixed?
If you don't have dsl and your hub and scout worked when they were side by side, wiring is about the only thing left, including the cables connecting the units to the wall.

Wayne
#16233 by sdhruva
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:09 pm
Issue is NOT fixed, I am at work now. Do you know how should I check wall wiring? I have no idea but I can follow directions. Since I never had conventional phone service, I don't know if those lines work or what needs to happen to make it work.

Thanks!
#16238 by murphy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:24 pm
Disconnect your scout from the wall.
Disconnect your hub from the wall.
The ooma hub's wall jack will not be used for this test.
Connect a phone line from the phone jack on the ooma hub to the nearest phone jack on your wall.
Take a telephone and connect it to every phone jack in your house and make a note as to whether or not you get a dial tone at the jack.

Any jack that does not give you a dial tone is not connected and will have to be connected before you can use that jack.

You will need to find the common point that traditional phone service would have entered your house if you had traditional phone service.