Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16034 by hopehankin
Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 pm
I have installed my hub twice and lost internet connection. First I should note that when I call Ooma the system tells me to press "1" for tech support. I can press "1" until the buttom wears out - the Ooma support lines don't "read" the tones from my ATT telephone and phone line that is still on Verizon. It takes about 10 minutes for them to transfer you anyway.

Second I should note that I have emailed customer service twice and have not been answered either time.

The first time I called I was told I need my PPPOE password and DSL log-in and to call before I reinstall it.

So I got that and called and was told to install it first and then call back with the PPPOE password and DSL log-in.

So I installed it and lost internet again and called to give them the info. I was then told that they don't need my DSL log-in and PPPOE password, but I ISP needs the mac address on my Hub.

Then I called my ISP with the mac address and they told me they don't need it. In the meantime, I have spent 12 hours on the phone and the hub is not working. 4 phone calls and 4 different answers have me confused and annoyed. Both times tech support has confirmed that I have my Hub installed correctly between the modem and the router.

Our number port has gone through so we have lost the ability to use that phone line; thank goodness that we have another phone line as cell phones don't work in the remote area where we live. Also I was unaware that we would not be able to access our messages through a cell phone...so we'll never be able to get messages on the road unless we have internet.

Any insight? Note - my ported number is NOT my DSL number - that remained with my ISP of course. There is a DSL filter on our fax machine but that is not plugged into the same wall jack as the DSL line although it is a jack with the same phone number.
#16070 by niknak
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm
...the Ooma support lines don't "read" the tones from my ATT telephone and phone line that is still on Verizon...

it's possible the tone length is "short"? on some phones this can be changed to a longer length?

...I was unaware that we would not be able to access our messages through a cell phone...so we'll never be able to get messages on the road unless we have internet...

You can call your home number and press 1 to access voicemail remotely
#16081 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:26 am
Let's do a little test just to get you working, and then we'll get things ironed out from there. I'm going to assume your problem is either DSL signal conflict with the Hub, and/or the Hub cannot adequately authenticate. I'm also going to assume you own a router.

For now, configure your setup like this DSL modem -> router -> Ooma Hub & PC. You may need to reset the Ooma Hub to default settings. I don't know if there's a button to do that or not. Just in case, make sure you use the built in MAC address of the Hub to avoid potential DHCP conflicts. For now, do not connect the Wall port of the Ooma Hub to anything. I want to be sure the Hub isn't conflicting with your DSL. The purpose for this test configuration is to ensure Ooma cannot take out your Internet. At least, it shouldn't be able to in this configuration. After doing this, do the Ooma Hub lights go blue? Can you use the Internet? Can you place calls through Ooma? Let us know what happens in this configuration because that will tell us a lot.

As for DSL needing a MAC address. I've never heard of DSL needing MAC for authentication, rather than PPP credentials. What make and model of DSL modem do you have?

Scott