Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#852 by civijo
Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:55 am
I hope someone who ported from AT&T may help.
Currently I have bundled DSL/Local line with AT&T. I called them and asked to unbandle it, to have independent land phone line, and dry socket DSL. They said it can not be done.
Then I asked to add dry socket line to this. They said it is possible but I need to pay $120, to do it.
If I cancel DSL/local line now, and get dry socket DSL, they can do it in 5 days. Ooma needs 3 weeks to port number to them, so I will loose my current phone number.
What did you do (AT&T customer?).
Thank you,

Joe.
#853 by trim81
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am
civijo wrote:I hope someone who ported from AT&T may help.
Currently I have bundled DSL/Local line with AT&T. I called them and asked to unbandle it, to have independent land phone line, and dry socket DSL. They said it can not be done.
Then I asked to add dry socket line to this. They said it is possible but I need to pay $120, to do it.
If I cancel DSL/local line now, and get dry socket DSL, they can do it in 5 days. Ooma needs 3 weeks to port number to them, so I will loose my current phone number.
What did you do (AT&T customer?).
Thank you,

Joe.

you did it correctly by requesting a NEW seperate Dry-loop DSL line.

I am unaware they charge $125 for this, wow...

You can always go for cable modem (pick a free install promo) and use it for 1 or 2 months, then port your number to ooma, and get everything readjusted with ATT when your port is done....then in the end cancel cable services
#854 by skellener
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:57 am
I had DSL (with DSL EXTREME) but AT&T was my local phone company (they bought SBC/Yahoo).

I simply cancelled my DSL service. No cancellation fee. Kept my phone line. I switched to cable for internet because the speeds dwarfed DSL for the same price.

The steps I took were this....

- Got my Ooma hooked it up and signed up
- Ordered cable internet and they came and installed it
- cancelled DSL service but kept regular telephone service
- sent in the request to port telephone number to Ooma
- waited 3 weeks
- received confirmation telephone number had been ported from Ooma
- enthusiastically cancelled telephone service with AT&T

If I never ever have to deal with AT&T again, I can die happy.

I never lost my phone number or internet service through the whole process. Sure there was a little overlap with DSL and internet cable for a day or so. No biggie.
#855 by trim81
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 am
skellener wrote:- enthusiastically cancelled telephone service with AT&T

HAHHA, I love that! ...same here for me
#856 by skellener
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:00 am
Yeah, I'm so anti-AT&T I refuse to get an iPhone. Well, unless I get a hacked one and can use it with T-Mobile.

I have been extremely happy with Ooma. I may get it for my Mom for Xmas so she can kiss her phone bills goodbye!
#857 by trim81
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 am
skellener wrote:Yeah, I'm so anti-AT&T I refuse to get an iPhone. Well, unless I get a hacked one and can use it with T-Mobile.

I have been extremely happy with Ooma. I may get it for my Mom for Xmas so she can kiss her phone bills goodbye!

I can swear I saw your avatar from somewhere... you must be on some other forums I frequent.

SD or FW or something (abbreviated intended)
#1836 by superhua
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:49 am
Has anyone with AT&T phone and DSL service been able to port their number without canceling existing DSL service?

If not, why won't AT&T disassociate their phone and DSL service for existing customers?
#1848 by Soundjudgment
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am
While there is *technically* no reason for them not to do so...AT&T must be thinking that if they get you to stop paying them for one service or another... they are unlikely to get you back anytime soon. So they would make it difficult to get out of any 'agreement' you have with them for service.

Plus it is a bit of a marketing/billing nightmare to have to change their account-fee structure (including any special-offers made) with you. So the easiest thing they can do is get you to sign up, and then tell you later that your agreement with them cannot be amended (else they lose money).

My advice is ALWAYS to find any way to get out of old-fashioned DSL service and climb on board the Internet with Cable or Fiber... wherever and whenever possible. Barring that option, tell them you want to STOP using the DSL phone 'bundle' and switch your DSL to a DRY Service. All that means is you want DSL Copper service without a working dial-tone connection. Then simply do all your phone-calling with ooma alone. If they won't do that, or want to charge an arm and a leg to do so... threaten dropping ALL Services with AT&T and get your ISP fresh with ANOTHER DSL COPPER CARRIER. That usually shakes them into action.
#1852 by brwilliams
Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:07 am
I was able to get AT&T to disassociate my phone line and DSL by sending an AT&T dry-loop DSL to my second line coming to the house. I was surprised that they did not put up a fight. It took one week for them to drop the DSL from my first line and they were supposed to get the new dry-loop up the next day. However, the next day I could not connect to the internet. When I called they could not find the new DSL account, so we had to reestablish one. 3 days later I had dry-loop on my second line and was able to connect to the internet. Since then I was able to get the Letter of Authority to port from ooma. So, the porting is in process. I'll update this when it is completed.

My advice is to keep calling customer service at AT&T requesting that they disassociate the telephone from the DSL. They should be able to do this at no cost to you. However, you will need to do some simple wiring changes in the "demarc" box outside your home where the phone service enters your house. Otherwise you will need to pay to have this part done.