Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15840 by RN09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:15 pm
Today, received ooma package from Costco. Very exciting. I am a very careful guy, went through all reading the manual first before installation. However, I would need some helps from here:

At first I set up exactly from the instruction book. Modem - Ooma - Router - computer. It did not work. Took me over an hour switching cables but nothing. Internet couldn't connect and the ooma hub didn't work either. I meant nothing.

Remember when I was lurking on this site someone connected the ooma after router (Modem - Router - ooma - computer), so I gave it a try and it works. Now internet works. I can see the green light on the hub. Make a phone call to my wife cell phone and the quality is clear. Suppose I am happy but for some reason the set up does not like in the book. I want to get as much as clear sound as the ooma can offer.

I will give CSR a call tomorrow (now it is 7 pm) to see what is explaination.
Last edited by RN09 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#15844 by Aveamantium
Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:41 pm
You "should" be able to put the Ooma either behind or in front of the router and get it to work. I personally have it in front of my router as I like that fact that it only shapes traffic when a call is taking place. Many others have it behind the router for various reasons and are just as satisified. Consequently, I have to ask, is there any particular reason you want the Ooma in front of the router?

If you want it in front of the router can you tell us what kind of ISP that you're using (cable, DSL, wireless, etc.)? After you connect the MODEM port to the modem do you see any activity on the Ooma (green/orange lights at the MODEM port on the Ooma? Have you tried the old factory reset trick after connecting directly to the modem (unplug, then after 5 or so min plug back in while holding down the clear Ooma tab, continue this for about 30 sec during the "light show" and then release)?
#15865 by RN09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm
I think if the hub before the router the sound will be more clearer when using the internet??

After I connected the previous way, I saw the green light on Modem port but orange light on the ooma (the clear one). I did restart modem, hub, computer few times but did not know the factory reset ((unplug, then after 5 or so min plug back in while holding down the clear Ooma tab, continue this for about 30 sec during the "light show" and then release) like you said. I am going to try tomorrow.

I am having Verizon DSL
Wireless Linksys Router
Verizon Modem (don't know the model)
#15866 by niknak
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 pm
How did you provision the hub? To work with you existing phone or with a new ooma number?
#15872 by RN09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 pm
With the new number. I want to see how it works before porting the number. So far I like it.
#15889 by murphy
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 am
Anytime that you change what is connected to a modem it is required that you power cycle (turn it off for 30 seconds) the modem. Did you do that when you connected ooma to your modem?
#15931 by RN09
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 am
murphy wrote:Anytime that you change what is connected to a modem it is required that you power cycle (turn it off for 30 seconds) the modem. Did you do that when you connected ooma to your modem?

You are right. Everything is working as it is supposed to be. Now I feel dumb.

Thank you everyone for helping me.
#15934 by southsound
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 am
Glad that it is working well for you - but we're all remiss in not giving you a hearty, "Welcome to ooma!" I think you're going to like it here. :cool: