Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15761 by murphy
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:02 am
Check your PPPOE configuration for a check box to keep the connection alive. Many PPPOE connections default to disconnecting after a certain time if there is no activity.
#15766 by ooma_user09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 am
ok..let me try that.

i changed my connection back to what it was like before. that is DSL modem --> router WAN port. i used eth cable provided by ooma to connect from "HOME" of ooma to a free port on router. now DSL authentication is handled by router as before. let me see how long this stays up.

right now am using a 5.8GHz phone attached to "PHONE". if it is the phone, i could even try a 900MHz and see if that helps.

i made sure DSL modem has PPPoE connection and its up.

to answer murphy: yes i double checked to make sure idle timeout is 0 seconds on router page. so connection should be alive all the time. and in case it drops, router should attempt to reconnect. this is what it says there:

"If this value is zero (0), then the connection will be "kept alive" by re-connecting immediately whenever the connection is lost."

thanks folks
#15773 by southsound
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 am
ooma_user09 wrote: i changed my connection back to what it was like before. that is DSL modem --> router WAN port. i used eth cable provided by ooma to connect from "HOME" of ooma to a free port on router. now DSL authentication is handled by router as before. let me see how long this stays up.

right now am using a 5.8GHz phone attached to "PHONE". if it is the phone, i could even try a 900MHz and see if that helps.

When using the hub after the router, the correct port to connect the hub to your router is the MODEM port. Think of it as in INPUT and the HOME port as an OUTPUT that would go to your computer or router if you were putting it in between things.

Remember also that some 5.8ghz phones do not strictly stay in the 5.8ghz band but also use 2.4ghz for signaling between the handset and base. I would use the 900mhz phone or better yet, either a Uniden or Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone.
#15784 by ooma_user09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:15 am
i'm not using ooma hub as router. if i connect ooma directly to modem, i don't know how to give DSL credentials to ooma. right now i'm using ooma as if its a computer that is directly connected to my router physically. that is why i'm connecting HOME port of ooma hub to some port in router.

if 5.8ghz is giving trouble i'll try 900mhz. if not i'll get a DECT.

another question not related to this: do i need phone line from at&t so i can get DSL? currently i get phone service from at&t and DSL from earthlink. once if ooma is working good, i intend to port my number from at&t to ooma. when i do that hope i won't lose my DSL :( otherwise its no point paying for at&t for just phone line even though i use ooma to make/receive calls!
#15869 by ooma_user09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm
no luck guys. same old thing. lost connection after about 2 hours. let me test my DSL <--> wireless router itself. ooma is off the hook. if this works without any issue then i'll have no option but to return ooma.

i'm also talking to earthlink and trying whatever they are suggesting.
#15962 by daet
Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Return ooma if you'd like, but I can't see any way that ooma is shutting down the internet every 2 hours.

Wayne

Unless it is a defective unit. Although even then, it is hard to see why it should affect an upstream connection. Weird things can happen. I have a malfunctioning/misbehaving "sun-lamp" that occasionally draws so many amps that a breaker trips and everything on that circuit shuts down. This breaker is auto-resetting, so after 5 - 10 minutes, everything comes back on again.

DG