Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15680 by ooma_user09
Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm
Hi

I tried 2 two different configurations of Ooma and in both of them I'm getting my DSL lose connection after 2 hours. what could be the issue? HEre is what i have:

1. netgear MR<something> wireless router
2. ooma hub
3. Earthlink zyxel prestige 645 DSL modem

I tried

1. ooma "between" DSL modem and wireless router. eth cable from DSL Modem to 'modem' port of ooma. then ooma's white eth cable from 'home' port to dsl port of wireless router.

2. ooma hub using one of the extra ports in wireless router. i had eth cable from modem go into dsl port of wireless router. and i tried connecting eth cable both 'home' and 'modem' to one of the ports of the ports on router.

in both connections above, i can make/receive calls from ooma. but after about 2 hours my DSL goes dead and i'm having to power-cycle my DSL modem. before i had ooma i probably had to reset my DSL maybe once in 6 months or so. with ooma, i'm resetting it every 2 hrs!!

pl help. if i can't resolve this, i'll have no choice but return ooma.

thanks
#15682 by southsound
Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:34 pm
Could you tell us about how you have the ooma hub wired to your phone system? Some specific questions:

1. Did you choose to "integrate" your landline with ooma?
2. Are you using cordless phones and if so what type?
3. Do you have anything plugged into the wall jack of the ooma hub?
4. Are you feeding your other home phones with the ooma hub?
5. Are you using a scout - if so, how is it connected?
6. When you loose DSL have you checked to see if it is the DSL signal or the connection to the ISP? You can check this by logging into your modem.

And welcome to ooma. I'm pretty sure we can get you working fine so you won't have to make any returns. :cool:
#15685 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:54 pm
Did you plug the Ooma Hub Phone port into your wall? If so, be sure to put a DSL filter on the line.

When you have the Ooma Hub first did you enter the PPPoE credentials? If not, that could be the cause of your resets right there.

Scott
#15686 by ooma_user09
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:06 pm
>>Did you plug the Ooma Hub Phone port into your wall? If so, be sure to >>put a DSL filter on the line.

doesn't PHONE port go into my cordless phone? did you mean phone cable from "WALL" port into the ooma filter/splitter? i plugged one end of "long cable" into "WALL" port and other into DSL splitter.

where do i enter PPPoE details in ooma? its not mentioned anywhere in quickstart guide.

thanks
#15687 by ooma_user09
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 pm
for southbound's questions:

Appreciate your help...I love the quality of voice that ooma provides..would definitely try my best to get this to work. Pl see my answers within:

1. Did you choose to "integrate" your landline with ooma?

don't know what you mean by "integrate". i got temporary phone # from ooma and i'm using my existing cordless phone. i connected phone cable from my phone to 'PHONE' port on ooma hub.

2. Are you using cordless phones and if so what type?

yes cordless. its panasonic 2.4GHz. been using it for last 3 or 4 years without any problems.

3. Do you have anything plugged into the wall jack of the ooma hub?

good question..need to give some info here. the splitter that came with ooma didn't work for me. so i am using the DSL filter/splitter that i got from earthlink. i tried using "long cable" (that is supplied in ooma package) from one port of splitter to 'wall' port of ooma and it didn't make any difference. it seems to work with and without it. so maybe i'm doing some mistake here.

4. Are you feeding your other home phones with the ooma hub?

nope. just this one line.

5. Are you using a scout - if so, how is it connected?

nope. i didn't open scout (isn't that for second line?)

6. When you loose DSL have you checked to see if it is the DSL signal or the connection to the ISP? You can check this by logging into your modem.

its connection to ISP that is getting broken. my wireless router is still up and i have DHCP from my laptop to router. also when this happens, ooma tab also goes red. once i reset the modem, it turns blue after like 30s.

thanks
#15688 by southsound
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:23 pm
A couple of areas to investigate.

1. If you did not "integrate" your ooma - in other words, you want it to work stand-alone using a temporary number until your phone number ports - then there is no reason to have anything plugged into the Wall jack on the hub. This connection is either to feed your existing dialtone into the hub if you are using an integrated landline or to communicate with the scout over HPNA.

2. Cordless phones that operate in the 2.4ghz range have the potential to cause really nasty problems with your wireless signal. My Plantronics cordless headset can bring down my wireless completely. I would suggest you try using a corded phone for testing and unplug the cordless power supply to make sure it is not interfering. The best cordless experience has been using the new DECT 6.0 phones from either Uniden or Panasonic. The phones are great in that they offer many new features (syncronized phone books between handsets, true intercom and call transfer capabilities, and best of all, no interference with WiFi. Even 5.8 phones can cause a problem so if you determine it is the phone, go DECT 6.0)

Let us know if unplugging the cord from the Wall connection and /or using a corded phone helps.
#15691 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 pm
ooma_user09 wrote:>>Did you plug the Ooma Hub Phone port into your wall? If so, be sure to >>put a DSL filter on the line.

doesn't PHONE port go into my cordless phone? did you mean phone cable from "WALL" port into the ooma filter/splitter? i plugged one end of "long cable" into "WALL" port and other into DSL splitter.

Yes, I did. I apologize. I meant Wall port. I need to be more careful. So it sounds like you have a DSL filter on your Wall port as if the Ooma Hub was a phone, right?

ooma_user09 wrote:where do i enter PPPoE details in ooma? its not mentioned anywhere in quickstart guide.

I may have confused things a bit on this one too, but it might be applicable. Rather than explaining this since it may not be applicable and could become confusing, I'll ask some questions to see if it even matters. If you unplug your Ooma Hub from your DSL modem and use everything else as is, does your network stay connected? If so, I doubt you need to bother with the PPPoE and I apologizing for yet another confusing post.

Scott
#15692 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:42 pm
Along with what Southsound said, sometimes an old cordless phone can work for awhile and cause no problems. Then one day it changes channels and bam, down goes the network. This is what mine did.

Wayne
#15710 by ooma_user09
Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:36 pm
i made this connection now:

modem -> "MODEM" port on hub -> "HOME" port to "LAN port" on wireless router.

removed phone line from "WALL" port.

and using 900MHz phone.

its not that i'm using the phone to make any calls. i just leave the phone there as is connected to ooma. after 2 hours my DSL freezes.

anyway, i just did above things. will see how long this DSL be alive. will keep you posted.

quick question: before all this I had my DSL credentials entered in wireless router. now ooma directly connects to modem and still connection is up. how does ooma get the DSL credentials?

thanks
#15729 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:12 am
ooma_user09 wrote:its not that i'm using the phone to make any calls. i just leave the phone there as is connected to ooma. after 2 hours my DSL freezes.

anyway, i just did above things. will see how long this DSL be alive. will keep you posted.

Is that any different than your original configuration? To test if it is the DSL authentication issue with the Ooma Hub you'll want DSL modem -> router -> Ooma Hub. What I believe you were experiencing was the DSL authentication time out. Most DSL providers allow you unauthorized access and can you like that. I have no clue why it works that way. This is the PPPoE credentials I was referring to.

ooma_user09 wrote:quick question: before all this I had my DSL credentials entered in wireless router. now ooma directly connects to modem and still connection is up. how does ooma get the DSL credentials?

I use my Ooma in the configuration you are currently testing it in so I cannot say for sure. On most routers there is an option to state whether the WAN interface is DHCP or PPPoE (among other options). You could look for that in your Ooma Hub.

Scott