Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15803 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:07 am
I believe it needs something to force the connection, like a request from a pc to connect to the interent. Try connecting a pc to the home port and surf the web.

Wayne
#15814 by niknak
Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:01 pm
Do you show green status light and blinking activity light on the ooma's modem port when connected to your DSL modem?
#15851 by jehammon
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:06 pm
The green status light on the OOMA's Ethernet ports are illuminated, and the other light periodically flickers, but the device just doesn't connect. I've also tried to do everything with the laptop that you mentioned below....no success.

Does anyone have any technical details on how the OOMA establishes the network connection? I'm really beginning to think that there is some technical difference between how the OOMA device attempts to connect to the network, and how the modem expects things to proceed.

On another note, while all this discussion has been going on over the last couple of days, I've had my OOMA sitting behind the router (except when running the various tests). I adjusted my router to give high priority Qos stuff to the OOMA device based on the MAC address, and honestly, the call quality has been excellent even while doing things like video download, etc. So, I'm beginning to think that I might just give up on trying to move the OOMA between the modem and router.

I've also considered trying out a different modem since that is the only solution that support gave.

Bummer.....I hate when I can't get a device to work like it should.
#15852 by Aveamantium
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 pm
All I can say is if it is working and you don't have any voice quality issues then sit back and relax and enjoy Ooma! Many (if not most) here actually prefer the Ooma behind the router for various reasons.
#15859 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 pm
I totally agree with Aveamantium. My ooma hub is connected behind the router and I have perfect quality.
Sit back and relax and enjoy the savings.

Wayne
#15891 by murphy
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 am
When you connected your ooma hub to your modem did you power cycle the modem? If not, that is why it didn't work.
#15894 by scottlindner
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 am
jehammon wrote:On another note, while all this discussion has been going on over the last couple of days, I've had my OOMA sitting behind the router (except when running the various tests). I adjusted my router to give high priority Qos stuff to the OOMA device based on the MAC address, and honestly, the call quality has been excellent even while doing things like video download, etc. So, I'm beginning to think that I might just give up on trying to move the OOMA between the modem and router.

That's great news. In some ways it's simpler that way because your router will have more routing capabilities than the Ooma Hub.

As for your PPPoE issues, I'm at a loss. From what I read in this thread you understood everything correctly, and did everything correctly. I am a DSL subscriber as well but I have not tried PPPoE with the Ooma Hub. My configuration is identical to WayneDsr's, and I love it that way.

Scott