Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15575 by jehammon
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 pm
All,

I was trying to install my OOMA the way the book recommended (i.e. MODEM->OOMA->ROUTER. The internet connection would not connect. I tried to hook a laptop up to the HOME port on the OOMA, and set the network settings to PPOE (as they are on my router), but the OOMA still would not connect to the internet.

After powering various devices off/on, I finally gave up and moved the OOMA downstream of my router (i.e. MODEM->ROUTER->OOMA). At that point the internet connection returned, and the OOMA connected successfully.

I'd still like to put the OOMA between the MODEM and ROUTER, any ideas?

Thanks,
Johnnie

P.S. I am using DSL and have my LINKSYS router configured to connect via PPOE.
#15578 by Aveamantium
Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm
Do you have to enter any Static IP information for your PPPoE or does your ISP assign this information dynamically. Second did you try setting the MAC address to "Use Built In"?
#15599 by jehammon
Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 am
I do not have a static IP; so, I typically just enter a userid and password and select the logon option of PPOE. Also, I did try to use the built in MAC address.

One other bit of information. While I was trying to get the OOMA to connect the internet via the modem, I eliminated the router from the equation, and just hooked my laptop into the HOME port to see that status of the OOMA device.
#15606 by atici
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:35 am
jehammon wrote:I'd still like to put the OOMA between the MODEM and ROUTER, any ideas?

Why would you want to do that? That's a worse setup. That's recommended in the manual because it's easier for many less technical users. But if you could get things running with ooma behind router, you should stick to that IMO. It also depends on your router. Does your router have QoS (packet prioritization) etc?
#15609 by but2002
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:57 am
atici wrote:
jehammon wrote:I'd still like to put the OOMA between the MODEM and ROUTER, any ideas?

Why would you want to do that? That's a worse setup. That's recommended in the manual because it's easier for many less technical users. But if you could get things running with ooma behind router, you should stick to that IMO. It also depends on your router. Does your router have QoS (packet prioritization) etc?

I dis-agree with you. Many routers do not have QoS, and if that is the case, it's recommended to put the ooma in FRONT of the router, that way when a call is in session the ooma will force the entire network's speeds to slow down enough to make sure the ooma will get a crystal clear call (The faster the net, the less the slowdown will be)
#15633 by Aveamantium
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:22 am
but2002 wrote:
atici wrote:

I dis-agree with you. Many routers do not have QoS, and if that is the case, it's recommended to put the ooma in FRONT of the router, that way when a call is in session the ooma will force the entire network's speeds to slow down enough to make sure the ooma will get a crystal clear call (The faster the net, the less the slowdown will be)

Couldn't agree more but2002! Plus the Qos in the ooma is conditional so when a call isn't taking place it is like it isn't even there! I have yet to see a router's qos do conditional Qos for VoIP.
#15645 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 am
I'm using a Linksys router and Tomato firmware. There are 6 pc's connected to my network. When I get a call I have "stellar" performance on my call, and all pc's never notice.
I say, what ever works for you, but in my case (ymmv), ooma behind the router is flawless.

Wayne
#15662 by Aveamantium
Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I'm using a Linksys router and Tomato firmware. There are 6 pc's connected to my network. When I get a call I have "stellar" performance on my call, and all pc's never notice.
I say, what ever works for you, but in my case (ymmv), ooma behind the router is flawless.

Wayne

Hay Wayne,

I agree, Tomato has excellent Qos algorithms and if you have a constant bandwidth connection to your ISP you probably couldn't "beat it with a stick". However for those that have irregular ISP bandwidth or "speedboost" the conditional Qos on the Ooma works perfect.

When I was using the Ooma behind my router I had to set my outgoing and incoming (yes, I had to use the incoming Qos since the wife likes to saturate my download bandwidth with internet TV) to the lower end of my ISP speeds. But because my ISP speeds vary so drastically, I had to sacrifice the times when the speed was better. I'd probably move the Ooma back behind my router running Tomato if I could figure out a way to only shape traffic when a call is taking place. But until Jon can implement this feature in Tomato, I'm going to have to stick with the configuration that I have.

But like you said YMMV! I think both methods can be better than the other depending on your setup and needs. Fortunately the Ooma is robust enough to work either way!
#15668 by jehammon
Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 pm
Seems like the discussion got a little off track.

I am trying to get the OOMA working between my modem and router. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what might be causing my problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
#15674 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm
Ok, lets start over.
Connect it all together.
modem-->ooma-->router

Shut down everything for few minutes, then power the modem back on, let it connect to dsl, then ooma, then router.

Let us know what happens now.

Wayne