Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15570 by Damager
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Just bought Ooma - coming from Comcast Phone. I've tested connecting the Ooma Phone port to the house to drive all the house jacks - works just fine.

On the Comcast system, we could pick up any phone handset in the house, and dial "*99" to check our vmail. I read the Users Guide for Ooma, and I think it said to dial our full phone number (XXX-XXX-XXXX) in order to check vmail.

Isn't there a shortcut to check vmail inside the house, instead of dialing the full phone number?
#15573 by Damager
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm
Thanks Groundhound.

Since the Comcast vmail could be checked from any handset, I'd like to do the same with Ooma - is there a way check vmail without dialing the full number from any handset?
#15574 by Groundhound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 pm
I don't think so at this time. As a work-around, some handsets have speed dial features that could be used for this.
#15610 by dtalwar
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:58 am
Groundhound is right ... there is currently no way to check the voicemail from a handset without dialing the full number. Of course, again as Groundhoud suggests, you can use the speed-dial feature if your handset has one.
#15612 by but2002
Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 am
By "full" number

You don't need to dial area code, just (123-4567)
(If that were your phone number, of course)

Then when the call connects, press 1, and you're checking your voicemail
#15616 by Damager
Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 am
Thanks for the responses. One more question - on our Comcast service when we picked up the phone, we'd get a different sounding dial tone to let us know there were messages - does Ooma do something like that? If you aren't in the same room as the Ooma, how do you know you have a message?
#15621 by StevenJohn
Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 am
I use the Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones. They show a Voice Mail message on the display and, if on the charger, the light blinks. Other than that, I guess you would have to look at the scout, hub, email, or call your number.

sj
#15622 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 am
My Panasonic phone has a voicemail indicator on the screen also.

Wayne
#15667 by niknak
Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 pm
...on our Comcast service when we picked up the phone, we'd get a different sounding dial tone to let us know there were messages - does Ooma do something like that?...

Ooma does not use any kind of "stutter" tone for VM notifications