Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15560 by randyth
Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm
I'm planning on helping my mother transition from Comcast VoIP to Ooma. Because I plan to keep her Comcast VoIP telephone line active until the phone number is ported over, can I simply treat the Comcast line (which comes right out of Comcast's combination cable modem / VoIP box) as I would any landline and plug it into the Ooma so the calls go through the Ooma?

I assume this would work, but there just seems like something wrong with running VoIP calls through another VoIP box -- like it might rip a hole in the fabric of time and space.

-Randy
#15562 by southsound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:43 pm
randyth wrote:I assume this would work, but there just seems like something wrong with running VoIP calls through another VoIP box -- like it might rip a hole in the fabric of time and space.

-Randy

I have always worried about that same issue. I'm not aware of how thick the fabric is, but I'm sure duct tape would not fix it. :razz:

I would recommend keeping the two systems separate. You could get her using the ooma right away by plugging her cordless phone base or other phone into the phone port on the ooma hub. Then forward her existing Comcast number to the temporary ooma number. Things will be very clean that way and she will get used to the ooma dialtone and features. I'm sure she will love the ooma experience - but if you can make it transparent in this way I think there is less chance of having a problem. Congratulations on doing the right thing for Mom! If she's anything like my Mom (now with the Lord in Glory), I'll bet she makes great sticky buns. If so, I could forward my mailing address! :grin: