Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15504 by jnwelch01
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:25 am
Using Vista (UUGH) on desktop with DSL, connected Ooma core per instructions, works great,wired internet works fine, wireless works fine, but I have lost home networking and file/printer sharing with my Macbook. At a total loss here, tried everything my feeble little mind can think of,,, HELPPP!
#15506 by murphy
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:59 am
Do not connect anything to the Home port of the ooma hub, only connect to the LAN ports of the modem/router. If you don't have enough LAN ports left after connecting the ooma hub to the modem/router, you will need to purchase a switch to expand the number of available LAN ports.
#15549 by tommies
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm
jnwelch01 wrote:Using Vista (UUGH) on desktop with DSL, connected Ooma core per instructions, works great,wired internet works fine, wireless works fine, but I have lost home networking and file/printer sharing with my Macbook. At a total loss here, tried everything my feeble little mind can think of,,, HELPPP!

What is your setup [modem>ooma>router>pc's] or [modem>router>ooma+pc's]? A bit more detail about your LAN connection sure will be more helpful.

I use[modem>router>ooma+pc's] From my own experiences, I know ooma hub spoofs my pc MAC address for it MODEM port, and my pc was completely cut off from my LAN. Change ooma to use its own build in MAC address solves the problem for me. To do it, go to setup.ooma.com (172.27.5.1) and click on 'network' link.
#15602 by jnwelch01
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:09 am
thx for help guys, my setup, well it was per the book for a landline based dsl with a intergrated router/modem, but I did remove the cable from the home port on the Ooma as instructedand installed in my router, I just cannot get any network going here..
#20755 by lizalewis
Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:04 am
I am having the same problem -when you read the OOMA specs it clearly states that the networking will be lost - somewhere on this board is the name of a switch that solves the problem - it adds a port to the modem (I have an integrated modem/router)
#20757 by southsound
Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 am
I have Qwest DSL and use an Actiontec GT701-WG integrated modem/router with one wired port plus wireless. I just put the hub between my modem/router and a Netgear FS-108 switch. All computers, network storage, and my network printer connect to the FS-108. I use wireless only for my iPod Touch. I am able to print from any compute connected to the switch and the ooma hub is able to do QoS for my VOIP calling. The Netgear also comes in a 5 port version (FS-105) but I would caution against it because (from my experience) as soon as you buy it you will add something to your network and be out of ports. :cool:

Just to confirm: modem/router > ooma modem port
ooma home port > switch > all PC's, printer, net storage
#33542 by lizalewis
Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm
I decided after 6 months of not having printer sharing - I should try some suggestions - I went to my friendly Best Buy to buy a 4 port switch - they knew all about OOMA and said I needed a router - so I bought a 4 port router -
the setup is as follows - Motorola Surfboard to wan port on router - OOma cable to router - my wired computer to router -
Im back where I started - everything works but the network - I believe that is because the 2nd computer (laptop) is still connecting via the surfboard - when I put the ### in the laptop - it did a google search - I called OOMA CS they actually answered the phone - I gave them all the info except the city I was born in which is NYC - that wasn't good enough - I had to say the Bronx - so now Im ready to bring the gd thing back to Best Buy and tell them they are not as smart as they think :cry: - so any ideas - thanks
#33544 by dtalwar
Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:36 pm
You have essentially created two subnets by having two routers. The setup can technically work with a lot of careful configuration. But, for what you're trying to do, a 4-port switch is what you really needed.

Edited: Wait, I may have spoken too soon. Let me know which SURFboard do you have and I will try and help as much as I can.
#33571 by tommies
Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 pm
For an simple and easy to maintain LAN, I suggest that you put all of your pc's in the same sub net, ie connect them to the same router. Your laptop is obviously in different subnet from other pc. So as Dtalwar said, a switch is exactly what you need. A switch just adds a few more LAN port to your router, nothing more, nothing less.