Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15398 by LiveStrong
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 am
I'm in a semi-rural area in Southern California where we get no DSL or cable. My only options are Hughes Net, cell air card or something like that. My service is actulally through a small company named; Southern California Telephone Company it's all wireless. I have a small transmitter on my roof that directs to a relay about 4 miles away. I'm on a 768 plan but speed still varies. My speeds are consistently between 512 and 1.2. I spoke to Tech Support at Ooma and they simply said they don't reccomend using wireless ISP's and basically told me to return my Ooma to Best Buy. They said; "sometimes they work with wireless and sometimes they don't."
I'm hoping that someone else here has had a similar experience that can help me to resolve this. I really want to make this work.
#15401 by niknak
Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 am
As you were told sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.
Basically the problem with satellite type ISP isn't the speed but the propagation delay.

Maybe you could run some tests here,

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

not once, but many times to get an idea of the quality and consistancy of your signal. Run the tests on your computer alone, with no ooma attached and no computer uploads / downloads taking place

Post the results and others here will help you analyze them
#15403 by Aveamantium
Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:05 am
I have wireless internet and it works fine but I'm only about a mile from my AP. You may have jitter problems but this shouldn't have anything to do with the ooma "connecting", rather your voice may be delayed (like talking on a cell phone). Have you tried the "factory reset"? How did you register the ooma (integrated Land Line)?
#15411 by LiveStrong
Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:27 am
Aveamantium wrote:I have wireless internet and it works fine but I'm only about a mile from my AP. You may have jitter problems but this shouldn't have anything to do with the ooma "connecting", rather your voice may be delayed (like talking on a cell phone). Have you tried the "factory reset"? How did you register the ooma (integrated Land Line)?

I figured the voice quality may be an issue with the possible delay..etc.
But, I also thought that connectivity wouldn't be a problem. I'm a little taken back by how short the tech was at Ooma...almost like the easiest way to handle the issue was to say; "we don't recommend a wireless isp."

Factory reset?
I registered online..yesterday
#15413 by Aveamantium
Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 am
Factory reset: Unplug for 5 min (this step may not be necessary), plug in while holding down the clear ooma tab, continue to hold for 30 sec while the lights flash, release tab.

When you registered did you set it up using the integrated landline option? If you did the ooma will not connect without a working landline connected to its WALL port.
#15444 by LiveStrong
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:33 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Factory reset: Unplug for 5 min (this step may not be necessary), plug in while holding down the clear ooma tab, continue to hold for 30 sec while the lights flash, release tab.

When you registered did you set it up using the integrated landline option? If you did the ooma will not connect without a working landline connected to its WALL port.

I'll try the reset.
I registered my ooma all online never plugged anything in prior to registration.
#15445 by niknak
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:38 pm
LiveStrong wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Factory reset: Unplug for 5 min (this step may not be necessary), plug in while holding down the clear ooma tab, continue to hold for 30 sec while the lights flash, release tab.

I'll try the reset.

I registered my ooma all online never plugged anything in prior to registration

I don't think that's what Aveamantium means....did you sign up with your ooma to work with an existing phone line or did you request a new number? The answer affects the way you setup your ooma hub
#15456 by LiveStrong
Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:36 pm
niknak wrote:
LiveStrong wrote:

I'll try the reset.

I registered my ooma all online never plugged anything in prior to registration

I don't think that's what Aveamantium means....did you sign up with your ooma to work with an existing phone line or did you request a new number? The answer affects the way you setup your ooma hub

Oh..sorry guys.
Yes, I requested a new phone number from Ooma
#15457 by LiveStrong
Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 pm
Okay, so I brought my hub to my office where we have At&t DSL and a small LAN...no servers..etc. I plugged in the Ooma..tried before and after router, spent 40 minutes with tech support...tried factory reset....and still nothing...T support had me log into the modem and check firewall settings and their is no firewall with this particular modem (verified by At&t T-support)...so thats ruled out. I'm beginning to wonder if I got a bad Ooma..won't work at home or office...but whats the odds?