Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15318 by tom
Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:31 pm
I just got a new D-Link DIR-655 N router and have a question. The D-Link manual states that the DIR-655 router QoS Technology will provide "an internet phone (VoIP) connection that works and sounds better". I presently have the ooma hub before the existing G router and it is working fine.

Can anyone tell me the advantages and/or disadvantages of having the ooma hub before or after the router?

Thanks,
Tom
#15322 by scoutconnor
Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:36 pm
tom wrote:I just got a new D-Link DIR-655 N router and have a question. The D-Link manual states that the DIR-655 router QoS Technology will provide "an internet phone (VoIP) connection that works and sounds better". I presently have the ooma hub before the existing G router and it is working fine.

Can anyone tell me the advantages and/or disadvantages of having the ooma hub before or after the router?

Thanks,
Tom

Hey! Welcome to the forum!
As far as I am concerned, there are no advantages. Although the router has built in QoS settings, the ones in the hub should be working fine and will continue to do so without modification of the location of the hub.
#15357 by inrame
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:18 am
tom wrote:Can anyone tell me the advantages and/or disadvantages of having the ooma hub before or after the router?

in my opinion it is a matter of complexity and priority in the house. having the ooma hub before the router reduces troubleshooing and complexity of configuring the router properly. if for example, you have any telephone issues, having the hub after the router has now made troubleshooting that more complex.

in my household the phone is the priority in all cases and it just makes sense to leave it before the router. if the router or network has an issue, that could cause issues with the phone (the other side of the coin of course, is if you have network issues, you have to consider the ooma hub if it is before the router). i also occasionally reconfigure and reboot and change network settings which in some cases interferes with the telephone operation.

i would suggest trying it both ways, but i definitely think having the ooma hub before the router is the "simplest" method.
#15358 by ggilman
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 am
After trying both ways, I'm currently working with the Ooma before the router. Not that I've really seen that much difference, but logically it would seem that QoS can be handled better.

One issue in particular is limiting your bandwidth when the phone isn't being used. Let's say you measure a full 1Mbit connection regularly. Generally people don't set their maximum speed at this number because there needs to be some room for error and you can't guarantee it stays at 1Mbit. So, general rule of thumb, people set it around 80%, so about 800kbit/sec.

Now, if you use the QoS on your router, whether or not you're on the phone, you've capped yourself at 800kbit even though you generally get 1Mbit. If, however, you set this QoS on the hub residing before your router, if you're not on the phone, QoS is turned off completely and you get your actual full speed, not your self-mandated cap. When you are on the phone, however, the cap is in place to ensure your call is smooth.

I'd even be willing to set my QoS on the hub to lower than 800kbit to ensure a better connection since I know once I'm off the phone, the full actual bandwidth is available to the rest of the network, without artificial self-imposed caps.

Though I can't really say that my Ooma worked better or worse in either configuration, I like the thought of my traffic not being limited once the phone is hung up. In my case at least, I just as soon the rest of the traffic fight for access than be artificially limited. Even if I did specifically want to set up QoS on the router for the other apps, I'd be less likely to over-restrict the cap.
#15361 by ggilman
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:20 am
Actually with the DIR-655 N you have very specific reason not to have the Ooma behind the router if you have the latest firmware.

I have the exact same router. Starting with the 1.31 firmware, there have been serious stability issues. Under that firmware, my router would lock up about once every 2 days. When this happens, no traffic gets through at all until I power-cycle the device. Upgrading to 1.32, the latest, the lock-up time has gotten better. Better being a relative term. Now maybe once every 4-5 days between locking up. I have read many user complaints starting with the 1.31 firmware so I'm not the only one with issues.

Prior to 1.31, I had no issues with the router. Of course, starting with 1.31, you also cannot go back in firmware version. If by chance you are on a pre-1.31 version, I would not upgrade at this point.

If your ooma is after the router, it would stop working entirely every couple of days because of the router issue.
#15365 by tom
Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 am
My thanks to each of you for the comments and advise. My ooma hub remains before the new router and so far things on the phone side continue to run well and the new router has added a little speed to my internet access.

Thanks once again,
Tom