Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15303 by LiveStrong
Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:49 am
Hi all.....Newb here.
Just got my Ooma...hub and scout...(Best Buy $230)
Am I reading this correctly....to use the Scout you must plug it in to a landline port?
How would you completely discontinue 'landline' service if it's required to use a Scout? I hope I'm just missing something here.

I'm anxious to get going with my Ooma!

Thanks
#15305 by but2002
Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am
LiveStrong wrote:Hi all.....Newb here.
Am I reading this correctly....to use the Scout you must plug it in to a landline port?
How would you completely discontinue 'landline' service if it's required to use a Scout? I hope I'm just missing something here.

Thanks

Welcome to ooma!

The scout communicates with the HUB over the existing wires in your house. This does not require an active landline service. In fact, if you don't have a landline service, it's suggested that you disconnect the wiring in your house from the outside line at the Telco box outside your home (Unless you're a DSL user, then this will get a lot more complicated..)
#15306 by LiveStrong
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:08 pm
but2002 wrote:
LiveStrong wrote:Hi all.....Newb here.

Thanks

Welcome to ooma!

The scout communicates with the HUB over the existing wires in your house. This does not require an active landline service. In fact, if you don't have a landline service, it's suggested that you disconnect the wiring in your house from the outside line at the Telco box outside your home (Unless you're a DSL user, then this will get a lot more complicated..)

Oh good...thanks...much appreciated!
Is anyone using wireless phone jacks for this purpose?
#15307 by LiveStrong
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 pm
Actually, is anyone using wireless phone jacks with the hub as well? I ask because Id like to mount the hub in a cabinet and not have a phone cable running to my desktop phone (not cordless) about 30ft away.