Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15262 by aLf
Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:51 pm
Well after two weeks now of trying, I'm giving up on Ooma! I hated to, but my security system is more important. I have several Panasonic webcams (500 series), cable modem (fiber) on a Draytek router, 5M down, 1 up. The cameras work good, the Ooma works good. Just don't try and do both at the same time. I adjusted Qos to give Ooma 98% authority and I still got horrible sound quality. I never had the problem on my end of the call, it was 100% of the time on the other end. Typically the call would be a 10 for about a minute, then the other end of the call would complain they couldn't understand me. If I immediately would shut off the camera, the call again would become a 10.

It's a shame.

Anybody else had this issue? If so, did you find a resolution?

Regards,

aLf
#15263 by but2002
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:11 pm
aLf wrote:Well after two weeks now of trying, I'm giving up on Ooma! I hated to, but my security system is more important. I have several Panasonic webcams (500 series), cable modem (fiber) on a Draytek router, 5M down, 1 up. The cameras work good, the Ooma works good. Just don't try and do both at the same time. I adjusted Qos to give Ooma 98% authority and I still got horrible sound quality. I never had the problem on my end of the call, it was 100% of the time on the other end. Typically the call would be a 10 for about a minute, then the other end of the call would complain they couldn't understand me. If I immediately would shut off the camera, the call again would become a 10.

It's a shame.

Anybody else had this issue? If so, did you find a resolution?

Regards,

aLf

Please explain your setup? Are you putting the OOMA Hub in front of everything?
#15273 by ggilman
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:27 pm
Actually it seems like your problem should be solved relatively easily. It's more difficult for people who don't get decent signal even when everything else is off. Even though you've set up QoS, it seems likely that something is not configured right with this still, or you have some other network issue unrelated to the ooma.

The first thing, as but2002 points out, what is your setup? Is the hub before or after your router? Some have better luck before, some like it better after. If yours isn't working right, you can try swapping the order.

Also, have you measured your connection speed? You stated 5/1 but that sounds like a number you get from your ISP and is rarely accurate. As part of the QoS settings, you must provide your upload speed. If this advertised upload speed is higher than actual speed, setting up the QoS is highly ineffective. Have as little traffic as possible on your network and go to speedtest.net to see what it measures your speeds at. Even then, you'll want the speed you input to your QoS settings to be somewhat lower, maybe 80% of this value. QoS only kicks in when you are using bandwidth above this input threshold.
#15276 by aLf
Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:32 am
Hi Guys!

Thanks for both of your inputs. Here is my response... The Ooma is after the router. I did this only because it made implimentation much easier. Not only wiring wise, but also because I have MANY ports forwarded on the router and also DYNDNS. My ISP provides 5 down, 1 up, on every test over the past few weeks the results on a SpeedTest were identical. If I ST'ed to Australia, obviously it was slower, but only by a bit. The router is a DrayTek 2930n, which is specifically made for this kind of thing. I spent time with their tech service making sure I had the QoS set properly. They claim that the router auto-senses the up and down speeds, therefore no speed settings were required. As far as what is causing the problem, there is zero doubt that it is the cameras. You can turn them on and off and instantly see the sound change.

Regards,

aLf
#15277 by bw1
Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:55 am
Seems to me that you would have better results with the Ooma hub in front of the router in order for it to control QOS when a call is in progress. Set the QOS on the hub to 1000 up and 5000 down. If your speeds are not consistent, you can use 80%.
#15289 by but2002
Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 am
I recommend what bw1 said.

Place the ooma hub in FRONT of the router in network order, and enter 5000 for down and 1000 for up. This will ensure highest call quality, and will assuredly prioritize over your cameras